Author Topic: nitric acid resource  (Read 1897 times)

jemma_jamerson

nitric acid resource
« on: January 20, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »

http://www.roguesci.org/ftp.html

goto the forum, ow and you will have to register in order to view the material

check it out, these maniacs make bombs and shit from it but they have alot of 'aware' people and comments in a f.a.q/archive spacifically about making nitric acid for the clandenstine naughty man/woman

Synthesthesia

That site is actually how I found the hive...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 06:56:00 PM »
That site is actually how I found the hive (actually the owner of that site has a website and a link to the hive). They do like explosives, but the are intellectuals and take their shit seriously. All the pipe bombing highschool kids are shut down; decent moderation on that site.

As to the subject, Nitric acid can be obtained easily OTC if you can find potassium nitrate (See the depot of homes) and sulfuric acid (battery acid). Distill your sulfuric and then heat to 100C or so and add a surplus of KN03 (or NaNO3) then distill the product (Depending on desired concentration you might want heat the reaction substantially more and catch the nitric acid vapor and condense it). Easy to obtain up to 70% without the condesing method, can obtain anhydrous when condensing.

hypo

nitric acid
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »
Nitric acid

Into a 250ml flask with stirbar, set up for distillation, were carefully1 introduced 122g 93% H2SO4 (1.16mol), 100g NaNO3 (1.18mol) and 74ml H2O. The flask was heated on oil bath with stirring and a yellow liquid was distilled off (128C)2. When the distillation speed slowed considerably and the temperature in the stillhead dropped below 100C a first fraction was taken (96ml, 126.85g), 37ml H2O where added and a second fraction was distilled off (36ml, 37.83g). Both fractions were titrated against NaOH to give 10.8mol/l resp. 1.3mol/l3. The two fractions were combined and diluted to 382ml to give 382ml of an 18% HNO3 solution. (Yield: 92% from NaNO3)

Notes:
1: And I mean carefully, this gets _very_ hot.
2: At first some nitrous oxides (orange gas) are produced. But the amounts are so small that there is no danger whatsoever.
3: 4g NaOH were dissolved in 1l H2O to give a 0.1N solution, 1ml of reaction mixture was diluted to 100ml and 10ml of this solution were titrated against the NaOH solution. Usually the NaOH itself would have to be titrated against an acid of known concentration, but the results fit very well with the measured densities.

edgy

nitric otc
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 03:42:00 AM »
nitric is a circuit board etching acid found easily (dick smith)

jemma_jamerson

lol
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 04:22:00 AM »
thats amazing im assuming dick smith in oz?
btw i just spoke to some maniacs from that forum and was told that if you live in brazil wuuu baby, you can order any publication and most chems of that nature.

synth i am nous in that forum.

auntyjack

nitric
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »
swij was in an etching supply shop the other day
(in australia)..and guess what they use???...

Master_Alchemist

Nitric
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 06:02:00 AM »
Nitric acid 70% used used to extremely easy to buy in Australia and only cost around $50.
Unfortunately, the government has woken up to fact that many harmless compounds can be nitrated and turned into X-plosive compounds. As a result swim cannot buy nitric acid from friendly suppliers anymore. No more Urea Nitrate for swim!!
The E&W forum is a very respectable forum and they are very safety conscious. Not to mention very anti-kewl. Something this forum struggles with i imagine.
Megs also has a very groovy website under construction that could be helpful to hive bees...Im sure the hornets know all about it  :P
To every bee out there, have a splendid weekend  ;)