Author Topic: TMA  (Read 1230 times)

pablos

TMA
« on: April 13, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »
I was today in my favorite Market and I saw a Solvent claimed to be 1,3,5-Trimethylbenzol or 2,4,5-Trimethylbenzol
Is 1,3,5-Trimethylbenzol the same as 1,3,5-Trimethoxylbenzol?
If I oxydize that to Benzaldehyde could be that used as start for the TMA series?

Smilaxium

Different chemicals
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »
Is 1,3,5-Trimethylbenzol the same as 1,3,5-Trimethoxylbenzol?

Nope...the last compound contains three additional oxygen atoms (methyl- vs methoxy-group = CH3- vs CH3O-).

ning

wonder how it would taste...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 04:35:00 AM »
It'd be interesting to whip up the corresponding phenethylamine and amphetamine to taste anyway, just for fun, ne?

elfspice

benzol?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 01:45:00 PM »
the 1 position usually indicates where one finds the primary functional group mentioned in the main part of the name. you say 'bla bla methoxyBENZOL' well, i've never seen 'benzol' used before but i guess one could say that instead of 'phenol'

the problem is, if it's a phenol, you can't have a methoxy *and* a hydroxyl on the same BENZYL (ie unsaturated 6 carbon ring) STRUCTURE. so where's that 1-methoxy bit coming from?

my guess is you are misreading something or making it up (my bets on the former) go find out what some of its other names are and ppl might have better answers. that name is shonky nomenclature.

hypo

nah...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »
benzol = german for benzene.