Author Topic: ammonia from nitrogen and hydrogen..  (Read 4152 times)

census

ammonia from nitrogen and hydrogen..
« on: October 19, 2001, 06:21:00 PM »
hrm well i was in chemistry class and the teacher put this on the board...

3H2 + N2 __> 2NH3

now that seems simple enough, i want to think that liquid nitrogen and liquid hydrogen would be fun to mix in liquid form to get liquid ammonia.  It seems simple enough, but no one ever talks about it, so there has to be a weakness in the process.  If not, is it feasable?  Wouldn't it have to be done under vacuum because of the Hydrogen?? hrm/

census

BieneMaja

Re: ammonia from nitrogen and hydrogen..
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
the haber bosh method works very nice... at 200bar pressure and 500°C so not the real thing for your cland. lab i guess

kalos kai agatos

terbium

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2001, 06:58:00 PM »
hrm well i was in chemistry class and the teacher put this on the board...

3H2 + N2 __> 2NH3

now that seems simple enough,

Why do you feel that you should clutter the Chemistry Forum with something you saw in your 7th grade science class? You could have found the answer in any chemical encyclopedia; if you really felt the need to use this as a topic of conversation then it should have gone into the Newbee or General Discussion Forums.

Antoncho

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2001, 07:21:00 PM »

i want to think that liquid nitrogen and liquid hydrogen would be fun to mix in liquid form to get liquid ammonia

8)  8)  8) here FINALLY is a nice, easy , OTC way for producing ammonia!!! Bravo!

It seems simple enough, but no one ever talks about it.......Wouldn't it have to be done under vacuum because of the Hydrogen??

Yes , vacuum - i would think hydrogen would decompose otherwise at this temp! Hey dude, you're a genius!! Keep up good work!

Antoncho

pantopon_rose

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2001, 02:08:00 AM »
Actually really interesting topic for Chem Discourse when you consider how it came to be... not enough bird guano to make things go Hongkablooey so Fritz Haber (German scientist) invented a process using high pressure & temp to synthesize ammonia. Won the Noble Prize for it and everything. Also invented that nasty mustard gas that the Germans thought was fun to use in war (turns to HCl & carbon monoxide when it hits the lungs, heavier than air; perfect weapon for getting around the problem of pesky soldiers who think they can dig some ditches and be safe). Incidentally, he was exiled from Germany (what being a Jew and all) and don'tcha bet he bore a heavy guilt on his conscience. Anyway, go easy on census guys. You don't want to make someone feel guilty or resentful for being ignorant on a subject. The fact that he's actually thinking about this stuff after class shows he has potential. The history of chemical-physics is as interesting as the processes alone, and I don't think it's necessarily inappropriate to discuss in this forum. But I'm a newbie too so maybe I should mind my business and only post in the newbie forum.

How many times must the cannon balls fly, before they're forever banned?

PrimoPyro

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2001, 05:29:00 AM »
pantopon_rose: touche. very good point, just thought Id say that. have a nice day.

I collect synthetic drug precursers. Aren't you jealous? Member: C_F and pyrotek FanClubs  8)

census

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2001, 05:47:00 AM »
thanks for those that gave input without being snippy and ignorant

census

census

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2001, 06:00:00 AM »
SHIT is it really that hard to understand that everyone has to learn everything at some point or another?  apparently it is...

census

Antoncho

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2001, 04:57:00 PM »
Census, i'm sorry if i appeared rude and i really didn't mean what i said to bee offensive - more on the humorous side ;) .

it seems to me that this place is getting "nicer" over the passage of time, although i'm not here for long, really. i mean that the flames tend to get more and more polite. And i think  this is very good for the general atmosphere at the Hive as i've seen often how otherwise decent places got ruined by negative emotions and filled with shit. More than that, in the beginning of my 'beehood' i have happened to ask stupid q's more than once and not to get mocked at :)  - at least not for long ;D  

however, this custom of ridiculing bees that post smth ..hm... not very intelligent, this custom,  while being not precisely full of comaradery, is very much important. It sets the standarts. The general common sense rules of what is accepted here and what is not. Otherwise we would have this forum full of quesions such as yours.

this chemistry is very basic and the fact that you asked this question simply means that you didn't even bothered to read your chem textbook - at least every single schoolbook i've ever seen describes this rxn in enough detail.
In other words, you didn't wish to put any effort in your learning.

again - don't take offence .... but Terbium was right ;)

Antoncho