The Hive > Serious Chemistry

Balance this!

<< < (2/3) > >>

gaston:
[XXX solution removed XXX]

and me sick fucker did this by hand! took me 4 trys and 4 sheets of a4 paper. allways been bad at computing..

ok, i removed the solution in case somebody else wants to solve it.. unbelievable equation!

scarmani:
Ummm...

16 K4Fe(CN)6 + 239 H2SO4 + 122 KMnO4 + 61 O3 (from air)  ==
8 Fe2(SO4)3 + 93 K2SO4 + 122 MnSO4 + 96 HNO3 + 96 CO2 + 191 H2O,

haha I even found Rhodiums first and only chemistry error!  He forgot to mention the ozone in his question.

Seriously, what is the procedure for solving this?  Is it to set up a system of linear equations?  I coudn't figure out how to approach this systematically... fuck I am beginning to wish I paid more attention in chemistry class.  Do you have to know the mechanisms of the equation, or can this be solved mathematically?

gaston:
this can be solved mathematically. take every coefficiant as a variable (9 pieces), identify the linear equations (8 pieces). solve it, and you'll get all the coefficiants relative to a single other one, multiply the way you only have natural numbers and finito. if you are not as stupid as i am, you take an H/P48 or similar.

ps: KMnO4 looks good :)

scarmani:
Yes!  I got it:

10 K4Fe(CN)6 + 218 H2SO4 + 122 KMn04 ==
5 Fe2(SO4)3 + 81 K2SO4 + 122 MnSO4 + 60 HNO3 + 60 CO2 + 188 H20

thanks gaston!  wow I didn't think I would learn any chemistry on this site but by golly I might have just proven myself wrong.  also does anyone notice a dejenerazen of speilling from thes site? it semes to occur for me.

Oh yeah, by the way for any of you who are thinking of pretending like you figured out the answer: I purposefully falsified some of the coefficients so that if you tried to copy my answer you would be copying the errors I put into it, and it would be obvious that you were nothing but a dirty freeloader!

foxy2:
Here it is (iwas too lazy to expand it to whole numbers though) nice try scarmeni you didn't change the coefficients cause mine are the same and right, this was fun

2 K4Fe(CN)6 + 43.6 H2SO4 + 24.4 KMnO4 --> 1 Fe2(SO4)3 + 16.2 K2SO4 + 24.4 MnSO4 + 12 HNO3 + 12 CO2 + 37.6 H2O

"trip not equal to tryptamine, tryptamine equals trip"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version