Author Topic: Wellbutrin (bupropion) - One pot shot  (Read 2546 times)

Protium

Wellbutrin (bupropion) - One pot shot
« on: January 12, 2003, 08:12:00 PM »
I was recently prescribed this drug;

I have decided that I don't want to waste my time going to the pharmacy to pay for it, as it seems relatively easy to produce.

So I was wondering if some kind bee might be able to get the article in full text, but the abstract may be of general albeit limited interest.  I'm not sure if this qualifies as psychoactive but i'm going to be really fucking bored.

A Short, One-Pot Synthesis of Bupropion (Zyban®, Wellbutrin®)

A one-pot synthesis of (±)-2-(t-butylamino)-3'-chloropropiophenone (bupropion) as its hydrochloride salt (Zyban, Wellbutrin), an important antidepressant drug used in the treatment of nicotine addiction, is described. The procedure, suitable for students in their first year of organic chemistry, can be carried out in less than two hours and provides material of high purity in overall yield of 75-85%. A solution of m-chloropropiophenone in CH2Cl2 is treated with Br2. After removal of the solvent, t-butylamine and N-methylpyrrolidinone are added and the mixture is warmed briefly, quenched with water, and extracted with ether. Concentrated HCl is added to the ether solution to precipitate the product.

Citation: Perrine, Daniel M.; Ross, Jason T.; Nervi, Stephen J.; Zimmerman, Richard H. J. Chem. Educ. 2000 77 1479.

Unfortunately i'm probably going to be stuck doing legal chem for awhile :(

Protium

And now in full text
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 11:39:00 AM »

Rhodium