Author Topic: interesting facts on sassy  (Read 2441 times)

goiterjoe

interesting facts on sassy
« on: September 28, 2002, 12:01:00 PM »
I stumbled upon a herbal medicine book from the sixties this weekend, and found a couple of interesting pages on sassafras.  This book actually had two paragraphs describing how safrole could be frozen out of sassafras oil to form 4 and 6 sided crystals that retained the odor of sassafras.  The book also mentioned how they would remain liquid at below their freezing point, as well as remain solid above their melting point.  The book had a couple of interesting notes that I had never heard before.  Sassafras was used extensively in the southeast to hide the taste of opium so that kids could drink it.  Sassafras tea will cure gonorrea, syphilis, and yeast infections of the skin. 

The book also mentioned a couple of things I had forgot to mention on the boards in the past about the texture of root bark.  The root bark of sassafras is really spongy in nature and fairly soft.  The actual root is almost white, but turns a dark brown when exposed to air for a few minutes.

All paths are the same: they lead nowhere

Organikum

Author & Title
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2002, 02:02:00 PM »
This sounds interesting, but your post was a little short on the facts. If the book has title and author it would be nice to know it.
Please.

ORGY

~ Love is the law, love under will. ~

goiterjoe

I didn't write it down
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2002, 03:43:00 PM »
I was just thumbing through a book of one of my elderly relatives.  The other information in the book was dead on the money, so this should be correct as well.  I'll try to get the title and author next time I go to visit them.

grokstar

Try this!! a sassafras posession excuse
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2002, 11:54:00 PM »
Drip a drop or 2 of sassafras oil into your bong (or bubbler as I think you call them in the US).
Now have a smoke.  I guarantee the coolest smoothest smoke.  softens even the harshest weed.

Actually this is only an excuse if weed is not a criminal issue for you.  Can I also add here that toluene cleans your bong like nothing else! ; )

Spirits of earth bring unto me

goiterjoe

hope your bong is glass
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2002, 08:03:00 AM »
acetone cleans a lot better, but you better not use either of these on acrylic smoking devices.

grokstar

no it doesn`t!! And some more facts!!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 07:04:00 PM »
And believe me I`ve tried!!.  I`m talking about a year long cake build up of resin.  And remove your rubber b4 using tol.

But whatever,  that is why I`ve got toluene in my cupboard.  My acetone is to clean my girlfriends essential oil burners.

Hey is this for real? 
(as in safrole aminating to MDA inside the body???)
taken from

http://amazing-nature.com/info/1122.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SASSAFRAS (Sassafras albidum)

INTRODUCTION :
The North-American foliage tree Sassafras albidum is a rich source of safrole. Sassafras' effects vary from euphoria in low doses to hallucinogenic effects in higher doses. Safrole is also present in illicium parviflorum, acorus calamus and nutmeg.
EFFECTS :
Euphoria, erotic sensations, heavy stimulation and changes in visual- and auditory perception,
Autonomic changes: dilated pupils, nausea, increased cardio-output, rise of bloodpressure.

DURATION :
The symptoms appear in 10-90 minutes after ingestion and last for 7-8 hours..

USAGE :
Sassafras can be prepared as a tea, or can be chewed.
For half a litre tea, approximately 30 grams of Sassafras is needed. When chewed, lower doses will also be effective.

CHEMISTRY :
Safrole is a component of the aromatic oil present in the rootbark of Sassafras albibidum.
The rootbark has an oil content of 6-9% and of which 85% is safrole. Safrole itself isn't responsible for Sassafras'effects, but it's amination product, MDA (3,4-methylene dioxyphenylisopropylamine), a psycho-active b-phenethylamine is. This amination process has been shown to occur in vitro and probably also occures in vivo, altough MDA has not yet been found in nature.
Because MDA is closely related to the neurotransmitters dopamine and noradrenaline, it might excert its effects by mutual influence on the active sites of the central nervous system. MDA also interferes with the serotonergic mechanisms in the brain. MDA probably depletes 5HTP neurons.
The MDA-molecule has two optical isomers of which the levo-rotary is the most potent.
Safrol is non-polar and can easily be extracted with steam distilation. Safrole has hepatotoxic properties.

MODIFIERS :
- Cannabis can intensify the experience.
- MAO-inhibitors can alter sassafras' effects.

DANGEROUS COMBINATIONS :
- Sasssafras should not be combined with high doses of alcohol

thats like 3mL of sassy oil dripped in some vodka.

Spirits of earth bring unto me

LOOPdaLOOP

Some more intresting facts...
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 02:45:00 PM »
I've read in a few posts about the use of sassafras for New Age reasons.  Found this intresting bit of info:

Sassafras(Sassafras albidum)
Planet:Jupiter
Element:Fire
Powers:Health, Money
Magical Uses: Sassafras is placed in a purse or wallet to attract money, or is burned for this purpose.  It is also added to sachets and spells designed to aid healing.

Now you have some uses and more importantly a direction in which to obtain.
;)

experimentalbois

DANGEROUS COMBINATIONS : - Sasssafras should...
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2003, 09:35:00 PM »
DANGEROUS COMBINATIONS :
- Sasssafras should not be combined with high doses of alcohol

thats like 3mL of sassy oil dripped in some vodka.

my question is: would putting a mill or two of sassy in a vodka/tonic be a good thing or a bad things??

spectralmagic

I wouldn't recommend it...
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2003, 02:50:00 AM »
Your liver would not be impressed.  And, you'd need a fairly high concentration of alcohol to keep the sassy in solution (if it can even be done - never tried it myself).  Can't imagine what 3mL of sassy would taste like  ::) ...

acid_egg

You already asked this in General!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2003, 02:51:00 PM »
You already asked this in General!

"I just thought I could get some feedback from everyone."

Pay attention everyone!...a serious question needs answering here!

goiterjoe

you're chewing some fucked up gum
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2003, 09:32:00 PM »
Bubblegum doesn't make my tongue go numb.

El_Zorro

Aahhh.... clandestine poetry at its finest...
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2003, 09:47:00 PM »
Aahhh.... clandestine poetry at its finest... :P  :P

abacus

Come on ppl
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2003, 04:27:00 PM »
Sassafras is 90% safrole.

The lethal dose of sassafras for an adult is LD (50) = 1.9g/kilo.  So about 140g is a lethal dose in humans.

Also causes cancer and stimulates the uterus and can lead to miscarriages in woman. 

People are STUPID to be even getting this shit on their skin.  Its dangerous stuff which is WHY its hard to get.

psytech

oh thats too much
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2003, 05:38:00 PM »
the native americans have been using sassafras products for years, and good knows that they  have a longer life span then the average american. And as for getting it on your skin, its not a dangerous as they would have you belive. Dont forget for years in was included in various consumables,like meds, drinks, and flavorings. So follow the goverment line of BS in you like, but i say just dont drink the stuff, there no reason for that at all.

PolytheneSam

>The native americans have been using ...
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2003, 05:40:00 PM »
>The native americans have been using sassafras products for years, and good knows that they  have a longer life span then the average american.

American Indians and black people have a higher incidence of diabetes compared to whites and Asians.

psytech

true
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2003, 06:23:00 PM »
But thats due to historical diets that they have eaten, not consuming sassafras products.If the connection was made to sassafrass it would show up on liver function test, not pancreas function.Being of African-American, Latino, Asian-American, or Native American descent they all have a higher incedent of Diabetes, because anglo diets are higher in fats and sugars, which they have all adopted.There is no connection at all.

abacus

When we all see a study comparing the health...
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2003, 03:44:00 AM »
When we all see a study comparing the health of those people that have been exposed to safrole for a long time compared to the health of those that have had no safrole exposure over the same time period, then we will be able to form a conclusion, but not before.

Btw, I got that information NOT from government sources but Aromatherapy sources.  If the stuff is safe, why has it been banned for use in aromatherapy?

People used to think Tobacco was safe. QED

GC_MS

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2003, 05:19:00 AM »
If a substance is dangerous or not is largely determined by the dose you ingest. Bromine is toxic in ppm levels, for water you need 15 L. But nonetheless, both substances are toxic. Our ancestors have played with plants for several millennia, which gave them information on using them safely. And also, many aromatherapists are idiots. Check your source profoundly before citing it.

psytech

complete sassafras document
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2003, 02:41:00 PM »

spectralmagic

Draw your own conclusions
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2003, 03:08:00 PM »
Safrole is a suspected carcinogen, and a proven hepatotoxin in significant doses...  in the dose likely to be found in sassy tea or a finished aromatherapy product, probably not an issue.  My understanding after absorbing bits of info here and there is that sassafras was banned for human consumption almost soley based on a study done on rats, where the rats consumed as much in a day as we are likely to in a year.

The ban continues for obvious reasons.  However, sassafras is just one of many plants containing safrole, in fact many spices & sources of "natural flavour" contain some.  The flavours used in Coca Cola bring its safrole content about four times higher than the FDA allows (4ppm, limit is 1ppm)*** - they get away with it because Coca Cola is a US symbol or something, not to be messed with.

*** - Probably from nutmeg,

Post 284806 (missing)

(Rhodium: "Safrole and Isosafrole in Coca-Cola", General Discourse)