Author Topic: name this connector  (Read 1849 times)

RoundBottom

name this connector
« on: February 12, 2003, 02:05:00 PM »
what type of connectors are these?  i keep seeing them on vacuum pumps at auctions, but have no idea what you would connect to them.  someone thought triclover, but said he was only guessing.

and are there any adapters to standard 1/4" hose barbs?

thanks in advance.

TheBlindGenius

They are....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »
NW connectors like NW16, NW25, etc.  Yes there are adapters PM me if you can't find where to get them.  They are mostly used on high vacuum pumps, usually on anything less than .01 torr pumps.

RoundBottom

outstanding
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »
three minute turnaround.  wik TBG.  thx.

TheBlindGenius

What's
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »
wik?

RoundBottom

wicked
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 02:25:00 PM »
wicked mon, wicked.

carboxyl

Wicked?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 03:54:00 PM »
You're an East Coaster I'm guessing?

TheBlindGenius

I am an East Coaster
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 04:35:00 PM »
but i never heard wicked abbreviated to wik.  Anyways, another thing about NW connectors.  It is most common to have NW to maybe 1/2" rubber tubing minimum, I haven't seen smaller.  But you could use one of those <---> adapters that have 1/2" barbs on one side and 1/4" barbs on the other.

RoundBottom

not east coast
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 12:06:00 AM »
not east coast... just old.  wicked was a saying from high school... probably from fast times at ridgemont high or something stupid like that.

these NW ports are massive.  the port on the pump i was looking at was about 1.5" inner diam.  overkill maybe, but it was a leybold heraeus trivac.  if i could find an adapter to a 1/2" or even a 3/4" ID hose, that would be perfect. 

Rhodium

massive
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 12:18:00 AM »
these NW ports are massive.

You need that massive connectors to achieve full vacuum with those machines. There is no problem reaching ~0.1 mmHg with  standard tubing though, as long as it doesn't collapse.

Organikum

KF
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 02:57:00 AM »
Looks like KF to me.

Download the fittingscatalog from www.precisionplus.com:

http://www.precisionplus.com/ECatalog/P+%20Low%20Cost%20Vacuum%20Fittings.zip

The name is KF. And yes there are adapters available, I had the same fittings on my Leybold pump. Precisionplus says theirs are low-cost. I don´t want to know what these parts cost if "not-low-cost" purchased. If you know somebody with equipment for metalworks you will get it cheaper from him and have to buy "only" the seals. Take the VITON seals.

I don´t regard this as source - if the moderation doesn´t agree i will edit my post.

ORG

yellium

Pumps like that sometimes 'suffer' from the...
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 12:49:00 PM »
Pumps like that sometimes 'suffer' from the problem that they'll get a too good vacuum. Those last drops of low-boiling solvent can really make a mess of your distilation setup.

If you get a really good pump (say, one that can do 0.01 mm Hg), you'll also get the 'problem' that your freebase will come over at ~ 60 degrees C, and  ketone coming over at 55 degrees. I.e. lousy separation.

RoundBottom

lucky
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2003, 02:10:00 PM »
if you're that lucky to own a pump that can pull ketone at 55°C, then you're probably smart enough to install a bleed valve to lower the final vacuum, and install a vacuum gauge to monitor the vacuum on demand.