Author Topic: Declaration Of Package Contents  (Read 2179 times)

BiZCUT

Declaration Of Package Contents
« on: March 31, 2003, 07:18:00 AM »
When a company ships a package of chemicals over international borders, do they by law have to declare exactly the contents of the package? Or can they just put something like "non-hazardous chemicals"? I am wondering basically how a company can ship something that is legal in their country to a country where it is illegal, without having it get snagged by customs?

SPISSHAK

depends on the company
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 09:48:00 AM »
Personally SWIM only deals with companies that capitulate to  requests to conceal the contents, your mileage may vary.
Most of the reasonable ones understand the challange customs present to your actually recieving the package, just cover your ass that's all.

raffike

Raf orders his sassafras from USA(raf's in...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 05:57:00 PM »
Raf orders his sassafras from USA(raf's in europe) and it comes thru without problems.They don't mark "sassafras oil,safrole content 90%" on package but rather "Essential oil for use in candles and soaps" which is much better description.Depends on company,i'd say.

BiZCUT

Another thing I was wondering; if customs does
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 12:21:00 AM »
Another thing I was wondering; if customs does end up seizing the package do they send it back to it's place of origin or is it totally gone? Is there any type of document that is sent to the recipient and/or the sender to notify that it was seized, so that the recipient can prove beyond a doubt to the sender that he did not get the package and that the sender should send another?

SPISSHAK

If customs seizes your package they will
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 01:19:00 AM »
Send you a notice of forfeture, and give you a place to go claim it, of course if you do claim it and te contents are illegal it's not very smart.
This is how you would throw ambiguity into the picture,order it to a business where any number of people could be the recipient that would make a controlled delivery that much more difficult to prosecute.

slick14

International Orders
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 11:09:00 PM »
Have you found cooperitave companies that have no problem hiding the contents or are most of them ok with concieling the contents.  I really want to make some orders from overseas but I have been scared to try.  Im not asking you to give a company name or anything but a push in the right direction would be great