The Hive > Chemicals & Equipment

Analytical vs Digital

(1/3) > >>

tryin:
What are the pros & cons of an Analytical scale/balance vs the pros & cons of a Digital scale/balance?

Below are my opinions:

Analytical

Pros:
Very accurate in the smallest of weight
Most have a windshield built in
Can be found relatively cheap

Cons:
Big bulky, not home lab friendly
Hard to calibrate

Digital

Pros:
Easy to calibrate (good ones have automatic calibration)
Small compact easy to store
Quick readings

Cons:
Not as accurate at smaller weight
Can be quite expensive

This is just what I thought up. If anyone can help out please reply. If any above are incorrect please let me know also.

maj:
Depends on what you wanna weigh.  Being as though your already posting at the hive were going to assume some type of phenethylamines or tryptamines.  You can get digital lab scales that weigh hundreths .  I prefer Acculab myself.

indole_amine:
Exactly, there are no advantages in mechanical scales these days - the digital ones are cheap and able of weighing in the miligram range (or at least 1/100th of a gram  ;) )...

indole_amine

Freemind148:
I just bought a digital scale that can weight upto 500g with accuracy of +/-0.02g and it cost me around US$100 (somewhat expensive, but every lab equipment is expensive in where I live as they are imported).  It comes with a standard 200g weight for calibration.  It took me a while before I decided buy this one.  But this is in the optimal range of what I intend to use.  I think it really depends on what you want to weight with it and the range and accuracy you require.

moo:
But doesn't analytical only mean that the scale is very accurate (eg. 0.1 mg), and digital that it works based on digital electronics? To me all this sounds like comparing apples to oranges...  ::)

I've seen some digital analytical scales, the ones with which you could see how the weight of a paper that was handled earlier by bare hands decreased continuously as the moisture absorbed to the paper evaporated. I've also seen these three beam scales which are neither analytical nor digital.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version