Author Topic: % of Retail A/B solutions  (Read 2729 times)

glibc

% of Retail A/B solutions
« on: December 15, 2003, 10:43:00 PM »
Good day all,
I have taken a walk through many retail outlets in my area to see what is available to the common man with out him/her even knowing it.

A product cought my eye due to a much referred to name: the ubiquitous "pH Up"/"pH Down" product.

Upon reading the contients of these 'solutions' (not dry formula, but a solution) I noticed they did NOT contain the same ingrediants often referred to here on the hive. They were very simply and plainly labeled "Sodium Hydroxide" and "Sulfuric Acid" respectivly.
I have researched the MSDS on line and the pH Down contains only Sulfuric Acid (CAS# 7664-93-9) and Water. Respectivly the pH Up contains only Sodium Hydroxide (CAS#1310-72-2) and  Deionized Water.

The MSDS does not give a percentage of solution or strength and my question would be how to find out if this product would be usable in its current form.(is it too weak to bother with ?)

I have done and extensive search here for the specific product name (which didnt result much due to the sources policy) and all the results I gathered from "ph up/ph down" search referred to the more common product that is sold in your "pool/spa" outlets (sodium carbonate/bicarb etc). Searches on other reltive topics still gave no refrence to this product or any similar product( NaOH, H2SO4 for your pets? ect...).

Any Insight you could give would be appriciated (other than UTFSE, that I have done). Thanks in advance... also if some one is having a hard time with sulfuric acid in the US or UK and this source panns out(who would have thought; sulfuric acid in a grocery store?) ... Id be happy to share in PM. Thanks agian.

Osmium

Strenght/concentration can be determined by...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 10:50:00 PM »
Strenght/concentration can be determined by titration.
Conc. H2SO4 and solid NaOH can be had in mainland Europe, OTC. Why not get some when you leave the UK the next time?

glibc

If I ever make it to the UK.....
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 11:17:00 PM »
But I have yet to visit the great Isle.. I just know this product is sold readily in the UK...
Both are sold pretty much OTC around here also.. except that the H2SO4 is a little harder to come by... If it were right next to the milk and eggs (as this product basically was) then it would be much easier ....that, and It is sold in a more usable volume (few oz as opposed to a gallon... who needs or wants gallons of acids sitting around unless you actually plan on using that much quickly.. which I do not.)

Osmium

There's nothing wrong with storing a gallon of
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 11:47:00 PM »
There's nothing wrong with storing a gallon of acid for 10 years. Why not?

cublium

Measure the density of your solutions
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 01:44:00 PM »
Measure the density of your solutions

unionpacific

sulfate
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 04:09:00 PM »