Author Topic: Outside HPS Fixture Wiring  (Read 2239 times)

adroit_synth

Outside HPS Fixture Wiring
« on: December 04, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »
SWIM has acquired a 1000 Watt rated High Pressure Sodium fixture with the light sensor unit that screws onto the top. I will be posting pics as soon as possible. I have some questions about how to wire it up. But for now, does anyone now if these sorts of fixtures can be used indoors? It is the parking lot light sort of fixture. Be back with a sketch of the unit and wires.

Organikum

ballast ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 03:02:00 PM »
have it? This is the heavy transformerlike thing.....

adroit_synth

ballast
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 04:12:00 PM »
Yes. I believe thats what SWIM has.

unionpacific

horticulture
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 08:01:00 PM »
it needs good ventilation, they get really hot, they will also shoot your electric bill up considerably.

hest

HPS
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 04:06:00 AM »

adroit_synth

picture
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 09:02:00 AM »
Check out this ridiculous excuse for a diagram.

HigherLearner

re: HPS fixture
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 04:53:00 PM »
yep the hps unit can be used indoors but i would suggest u get sum sort of air cooled hood. and make sure to vent the hot air outside. or else it could get to be one hot day indoors.

adroit_synth

Wiring
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 10:04:00 AM »
Ok guys. SWIM will be sure to keep the heat in check. SWIM still needs to know how the hell to wire this thing. At first he thought he knew but on second thought he doesn't want to fuck it up.  There are four wires. Thay are labeled on the diagram. What goes where????

endo1

wiring
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 04:20:00 PM »

http://www.onlinepot.org/grow/wiringlights.htm

Has a nice explanaition for you if you are wanting to use 120v. I can also tell you that some of those ballasts can be wired for different voltages and have different wires for different voltages so you may have wires there that you don't use. Also being as this ballast was obtained from the street it may not have the correct wires for the desired voltage.

8ball

Wiring
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 02:22:00 AM »
The four wires you have should be either. Green - Earth. Brown - Active. Blue - Neutral. The other wire could be any colour but could be a switch wire. If the ballast is seperate from your light there is a good chance whoever pulled it down just cut the wires so they may match, if not on the ballast (is it fitted with a plug on one end) you should be able to read maybe the worsds Line and Load. Have a look and let me know what you've got.
If you can accomplish all this and after more tutoring get the light going I will teach you how to bypass your power meter to get a free circuit that is not detectable unless you don't pay bill and power gets cut off. But then if you are there when power is reconnected and there is no load on any circuits your laughing all the way to the shop to buy your rolly papers.

adroit_synth

Wiring
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 04:54:00 PM »
endo1: That site looks like it just may have the info SWIM needs. Thanks for the link! SWIM has merely enough time to reply and not enough to work on/figure this thing out. SWIM plans on using 120V and has no idea what voltage it previously operated at.
8ball: SWIM apologizes for the diagram once again as it was done in a horrible rush. The wires were numbered (if poorly). Wires 1,2,3, and 5 are white, white, black, and white, respectively. These are the ones that SWIM doesnt know where to put. SWIM does suspect two are for the light sensor which he would very much like to bypass anyhow. And SWIM does not understand what you mean about the ballast being disconnected. IF you are referring to the diagram then you must know that everything is indeed inside the outer casing drawn and was simply drawn outside b/c SWIM suspected one electronically inclined could figure out the proper voltage to use by reading the lines on the resistor and the capacitor codes and such on the transformer. Also, SWIM's jaw dropped when you told a tale of priceless HPS power! and would very much like to know more when the time is right!

8ball

Wiring
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »
a_s

For some reason i can't get diagram to come up. page not avail.