Author Topic: THF?  (Read 1574 times)

SpicyBrown

THF?
« on: September 04, 2000, 01:26:00 PM »
How does one go about acquiring THF in the US?

mr_pyrex

Re: THF?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2000, 02:23:00 PM »
Tetra Hydro Furan...go to your local chemical supply house they should have it.  Or if your really hard up you could try seperating it out of just about any PVC glue.  But supply house is your best bet, as far as I know there aren't any restrictions on buying it, or at least when I bought some less then a year ago there weren't any.  Just beware of peroxide formations, they can cause it to explode without warning.  Pyrex out of THF

Osmium

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2000, 03:57:00 PM »
Here in Europe I can buy it OTC. There is a company selling it under their own brand name (in 5L cans), but it is pure THF. Same with lots of other solvents. Just found ethyl acetate a few days ago (minimum ordering amount 10L can). THF is sold here as a solvent for rubber vulcanizing and PVC glueing, EA as a solvent/thinner for some special wooden flooring glue. Look around. These are almost always random finds.
Even better: when you finally found such solvent brands take a can of them, go to the next chemical supplier, show it to them, bitch about the horrendous prizes for these solvents and order a barrel of cheap tech grade solvent without any questions asked. Once you are in their customer database order other solvents. Aquisition the non-suspicious way  ;D

catharsis

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2000, 11:22:00 PM »
sorry to cross post..but this is just a non-polar solvent used in numerous rxn's right? it can be substitutued with other solvents can't it? maybe my interpretation of THF is wrong...fix my idea? fix my wallet too...theres a hole.. and my skull...kinda drafty.

purge the info.

Osmium

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2000, 11:44:00 PM »
THF is quite polar. It is miscible with water, yet pretty much inert to most common reagents. It's the solvent of choice for LAH reductions and often used in grignad and other syntheses.

halfapint

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2000, 07:27:00 AM »
Where it's from, is from hydrogenation of furane, which is from decarboxylation of furane-2-carboxylate, which is from oxidation of 2-furfural, which distills with steam from dilute mineral acid treating cereal husks, best from rice.

Half a pint's a half a pound, a half the world around, around.

catharsis

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2000, 03:17:00 PM »
thanks for burrying that thought os, and half.. looks like im a bit off the ball,(nothin new) i find myself correcting my posts three or four times before i say fuck the mispellings and go on.. bleeh thanks.

purge the info.

mr_pyrex

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2000, 06:43:00 AM »
Just a note to add for the benefit of those newbees who might be considering using this seemingly normal solvent, it can be as dangerous or more dangerous then using Diethyl ether.  It can form peroxides and they can cause it to detonation without warning, yes as in an EXPLOSION!  If you aren't experienced in using this chemical or even if you are you should READ the M.S.D.S. sheet on it before handling it.  Pyrex out of safety tips

odin

Has anybody tried to distill cereal husks + ...
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2002, 07:18:00 PM »
Has anybody tried to distill cereal husks + diluted acid to get furfural. Any info. Further processing(to get THF) can be acomplished easy(oxidation, decarbox.) except hydrogenation of furane(equipment?).

Bwiti

stabilized
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 02:29:00 AM »
Don't buy it unless it's stabilized.

Love my country, fear my government.