Author Topic: Hg-salt in Brightstar step 5  (Read 2869 times)

majic22

Hg-salt in Brightstar step 5
« on: November 12, 2002, 09:10:00 PM »
it says to use Hg-salt but it says you could also use HgCl2, Hg(NO3)2, Hg(acetate)2, or HgCl.  would these all be 100% interchangeable?  i read many posts about the acquisition of it and learned that it is quite hard..... however all of the posts were from a long time back and swim was hoping maybe situations or methods have changed to make it more easily acquirable. How in the world would someone be able to obtain this? please help

Theres nothing to be afraid of, just concentrate, and trust the music.

Rhodium

The only thing that matters is to create a ...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 09:16:00 PM »
The only thing that matters is to create a solution containing Hg ions, be it Hg+, Hg2+ or whatever, and preferably in as high concentration as possible (so better use a salt that is relatively easily soluble). Some salts, like the nitrate (and the sulfate I think), react with water forming insoluble basic Hg salts, like this:

Hg(NO3)2 + H2O -> Hg(OH)NO3 + HNO3

That doesn't happen with HgCl2, Hg2Cl2 (HgCl) or HgI2 for example.

majic22

confused but catching on
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 10:01:00 PM »
thanks rhod....if theres anyone thats always here to help its you.  i have read so much and studied these steps so hard for long hours(if you havent noticed me online ALL the time) and now i have a very good understanding all the way up through step 5. from your previous reply i determined that MERCURIC ACETATE will in fact work just the same as mercuric chloride would.  are my assumptions correct?
If only I put this much effort into school.....  thanks rhod

Rhodium

I left out mentioning the acetate, because I ...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 10:41:00 PM »
I left out mentioning the acetate, because I don't remember what happens to that salt.

ChambeRed

If acquisition of mercury salts(particularly ...
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2002, 01:53:00 AM »
If acquisition of mercury salts(particularly suitably soluble ones) is a problem consider HgI2 from tincture(in TFSEtm),I have never tried it as HgCl2 isn't a problem for me but many bee's report sucess using it and it's easy to make and 100% otc 8) .

Bee's don't die,we just multiply.

majic22

what are some legit uses.....
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2002, 10:20:00 PM »
what are some legit uses for mercuric acetate?  whats it used for?  anything???  swim heard it might be used in dark rooms but does any bee know specifically what for?

callen

Mercury Salt-Make Your Own.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2002, 07:05:00 PM »
Gather up some mercury thermometers, break thermometers, collect the free mercury. React with HCL(ie; Muriatic acid).Use a flat bottomed flask. Round bottoms don't work so well.

noj

I'm not certain just "reacting" with HCl will ...
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2002, 08:02:00 PM »
I'm not certain just "reacting" with HCl will work. The procedure by Zygoat (www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/mercurychloride.html) uses H2SO4 first, then baking soda and then HCl.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

racemic

no muriatic
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2002, 11:50:00 PM »
Muriatic acid will not work. But elemental Cl will or elemental I2.

Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things!

madprosr

racemic, is that first-hand knowledge about ...
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2002, 12:25:00 PM »
racemic, is that first-hand knowledge about combining elemental Hg and I2?
according to Rhodium's site, bubbling Cl into Hg results in Hg2Cl2 which will not amalgamate as quickly as Hg++ salts. IMHO elemental I2 is easier to handle.

swim tried this with .25g Hg and a slight excess (1/3g he thinks) of I2 previously dried 3h over CaCl2. it did eat the end of the aluminum rod used to mix it, but after letting the excess I2 evaporate for 10 days swim has some red chunks (gotta bee HgI2) sitting in a bunch of yellowish/brownish viscous liquid. this is a far cry from instantaneous creation of the desired dry red powder as described by hellman. its been sitting uncovered in glass exposed to ambient light at room temperature so there have been photons to get it going. swim's environment is pretty dry, but he doesn't know the exact humidity.

so anyway, swim doesn't know if he should just add MeOH and amalgamate away, or if he should try microwaving the .5g of Hg in 30ml 2% I2 2.4% NaI tincture that hasn't reacted after 2 weeks. that's actually a slight excess of Hg as .63g I2 would be required for complete reaction, but hey, a little unreacted Hg should't matter.

someone please confirm that Hg and salts thereof will not evaporate at room temp so swim can sleep easier. or confirm the opposite so swim can get that shit outta his house pronto.

terbium

Tincture of Iodine
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2002, 12:45:00 PM »
swim tried this with .25g Hg and a slight excess (1/3g he thinks) of I2 previously dried 3h over CaCl2
Use Tincture of Iodine to prepare a mercury solution as has been discussed here over the past 6 months. The Tincture of Iodine contains KI in addition to elemental iodine and it is this KI that makes the mercuric iodide much more soluble.

Baseline Does Not Exist.

madprosr

much respect terbium,
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2002, 06:28:00 PM »
but swim had problems reacting .5g Hg with 30ml of 2% I 2.4% NaI tincture.
it sat in a glass tube for 2 weeks, and little of the Hg dissolved.
so it was microwaved 3x 10sec with 10 minutes of shaking inbetween.
at this point it was noticed that a small amount of vapor was escaping the screw-cap into the ziploc bag holding it. so it sat 2 more weeks.

about 2/3 of the Hg reacted with 2% tincture over one month.
the solution was still brown with I2, but quickly amalgamated 20g of foil.

thankfully swim found a better method.

swim added .75g Hg to .8g I2 (dried overnight over CaCl2). he wanted a slight excess of Hg so he wouldn't have to wait too long for the I2 to evaporate. he stirred it with a glass rod and small amounts of the red salt formed but the mass of Hg was not mixing with the I2 well enough. last time leaving the 2 reagents in a pile for a week resulted in 50% conversion of the Hg. so he added 2ml of MeOH. within 5-10 minutes all of the Hg was replaced with salt crystals. within 5 hours all of the MeOH and I2 evaporated leaving bright red HgI2 crystals with no traces of unreacted mercury.

we've known for awhile that higher I2 concentrations and higher temperatures speed this reaction up. well, if you want it done in 5 minutes use 25% alcoholic I2 at room temperature, KI or NaI is unnecessary and will just contaminate your product IMHO. weigh the pure, dry HgI2 for perfectly repeatable amalgamations.

y'all wear gloves now...

MnkyBoy78

Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2002, 01:17:00 AM »
SWIM was deciding to mess around one day.  THE EXACT same steps just mentioned were done.  (The only draw back was SWIM did not know what the end result should look like). 

So SWIM will have to concure it works now SWIM knows what the end should be.

Why 78...I just dont know? But the voices said it sounded good

Anansi

Ozbees - tinctures vary!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2002, 04:09:00 AM »
I have mentioned this in another thread here, but it could well be relevant here also.

Australian Iodine Tinctures that swia has come across have been of TWO different types. The 'tradional' iodine tincure discussed here an ethanol/water solution of KI and elemental Iodine is one type. The other is an ethanolic (likely with traces of water) solution of elemental iodine and nothing else.

I have not attempted to make mercury salts via addition of elemental mercury to EITHER of these tinctues, but the ethanolic iodine type tincture may well behave differently to the more commonly discussed water/EtOH/Iodine/KIorNaI type tinctures.

Discussion of 'iodine tincture' at the Hive tends to be referring to the water/EtOH/I/NaI tincture, as this seemsto be the composition of iodine tincture exculsively elsewhere in the world.

Hope this helps,

...Anansi