Author Topic: piperonal and Phenylpropylalcohol?  (Read 5108 times)

3_4_BumbleBee

piperonal and Phenylpropylalcohol?
« on: July 31, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »
Hey there
I found a compound for the conservation of cosmetics. the INCI says it consists of : 3,4-Methylendioxy-benzaldehyd, Phenylpropylalcohol.
Does anyone know this stuff? it is used to conservate fat/water mixtures and give them a smell of hyazinth.
of how many percent 3,4-Methylendioxy-benzaldehyd consists it?
the INCI gives the components in descending order, so i believe it is more piperonal!
it is widely available, so what do you think of it?
how to separate it? Fractional distillation with a 400mm Vigreux should do the job... 20°C difference between boiling points @ 760mm....
3,4-BB

ApprenticeCook

i cant tell if this is sources or not....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 02:24:00 AM »
i cant tell if this is sources or not.... may just be bordering on it.....

If the product info doesnt tell you %'s, you could distill it to figure out....

But yes distill it to get your piperonal...
Nice.

-AC

3_4_BumbleBee

i tink its not sources, because this compound...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 03:43:00 AM »
imho its not sources, because this compound is used in pafumery and cosmetics widely around the world. I just know the tradename under what it is sold by any cosmetics suppliers. you will have to find out for yourself your local tradename for your country, but this seems to bee the mixture in what heliotropin is used in biocosmetics, along with 3-phenyl-1 -propanol, to make it more fluid at room temperature, other ingredients are not given in the INCI.
mainly aim at preservation for cosmetics, while searching.
swim ordered some, i will let you know of how much heliotropine it consists.

ApprenticeCook

in that case no its not...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 05:18:00 PM »
in that case no its not... thanks for clearing that up...

Yeah well it would be interesting how much usefull material comes out of it...
Make sure you document it and share it...

-AC

3_4_BumbleBee

Swibb gave me some of that mentioned stuff!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 01:42:00 PM »
Swibb gave me some of that mentioned stuff!
It smells beautiful, sweet, Heliotrope-like. it is a light  yellow, oily liquid, and starts to boil slightly at 235°C/760mmHg and turns into brown on further heating...

I think i should not try to distill it at atmospheric pressure?!?
what strength of vacuum will be needed?  i try it with my old aspirator, but i don´t know how much mm/hg it does.... should be around 30-50 mmHg.

bb

starlight

boiling points
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 05:55:00 AM »
235C is the boiling point of 3-phenylpropanol-1. Boiling point of heliotropin is 263C.

Using a vacuum of 50mm of Hg should make these boiling points around 140C and 165C respectively (estimates may be out as they were calculated v. roughly using a nomograph).

Simple distillation will not do a good job of separting these two compounds as the boiling points are too close. Fractional distillation will do better.

Maybe there would be another way of separating the two, for instance dissolving the product in ether and then shaking with sodium bisulfite in order to form the bisulfite adduct. Someone with more experience of purification using bisulfite adducts could probably help you here as I don't know if it is practical to use it here for purification.