Author Topic: Plans for a homemade fume hood?  (Read 2853 times)

nitrous351

Plans for a homemade fume hood?
« on: May 22, 2003, 04:04:00 AM »
This is my first post ever, so please don't flame me! I had a dream the other day about a homemade fume hood. In my dream, this is what I did:
Got a 25 gallon aquarium from a transmission shop (don't ask) for free... got a 25cm bathroom exhaust fan from a home salvage store ($5)... a length of dryer hose (long enough to go from my "work-station" to outside) ($10)... some RTV sealant from my garage (made of silicon, about $5 at a auto parts store)... roll of duct tape ($2)
Ok, I used glass cutters to cut a hole in the bottom of the aquarium. The hole was cut to the mounting dimensions of the exhaust fan (Cutting glass is VERY tricky...take your time!)I mounted the fan using the RTV sealant.... be sure of a good seal... don't want any leaks. I then duct taped the hose to the back of the exhast fan, and ran the other end of the hose to outside. I suspended the aquarium from the ceiling using hooks that I screwed in. All you have to do now is wire up the fan (Actually wire it BEFORE you hang the setup). If you don't know how to wire something into a circuit, please ask a knowledgable friend to help you! I know it's a crude setup, but it seems to work ok. I'm not sure if there will be any problems with corrosion of my fan, hose, etc... I plan to check that after every use. If something needs replacing, it will bee cheap. Always bee safe. If this hood ends up not working well in my next dream, I'll bee sure to re-post. If anyone sees any kind of problem with this design, please let me know (I don't want to die from some stupid mistake I didn't think about). Peace

SpicyBrown

Re: got a 25cm bathroom exhaust fan from a...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 04:42:00 PM »

got a 25cm bathroom exhaust fan from a home salvage store ($5).......
If anyone sees any kind of problem with this design, please let me know (I don't want to die from some stupid mistake I didn't think about). Peace

Well for one, if you ever will be working with anything flammable (and you probably will) you want to have a sparkless or otherwise explosion-proof exhaust fan.  That bathroom fan is probably not sparkless.  The brushes on the electric fan motors of any normal fan occaisionally give off sparks, which could be quite bad for you.

-SpicyBrown

The_Fog

your dream....
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 12:01:00 AM »
Your dream sounds like my first nightmare. As stated above that fan WILL spark. No question. youve been lucky. If youre gonna hang an aquarium upside down it must bee something you have hidden? extra room etc? anywayz, if it is something you need to put away when youre done, what you have is going to make that easier. However, what you NEED is a fan that has the motor isolated from the air beeing moved ie:squirrel cage fan (use google) little bigger and heavier but its power makes up for that. Your vent tube needs to bee chem resistant rubber or plastic.

think exhaust tube in a mechanics shop to pipe the car exhaust outside. good luck.

moo

UTFSE! I typed the words fume hood motor ...
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 12:54:00 AM »
UTFSE! I typed the words fume hood motor sparkless to TFSE and wht did I get?

Post 90798 (missing)

(Bozakium: "Re: DIY Fume Hood", Chemicals & Equipment)
, now do it yourself and see. Learn to UTFSE and you will suddenly learn a lot more. With search terms motor spark you will get even more hits to go through. Boring? Hell no, there are GEMS hidden in the Hive!

tranceport

Ok..
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 02:08:00 AM »
But moo, come on... Of all the newbee's, this isnt the one to jump out and say that too. He is trying. I am sure if he knew about motors, and how they work, he might have picked that one out. The idea of sparks never even crossed his mind, and why search for an idea if it seems easy enough? I think you forget the annoyance of newbess is to sit and wait for you to do it for them. I admire a bit of the grab the bull by the horns approach. It isnt safe to approach chemistry like that in all respects, but he did ask if you saw anything he missed before distilling those petro chems. Also I dont see the possibility of searching fume hood brushless sparks <-- Again, this wasnt taken into account, nor is warning made organic chem, or buy shopping for the crap. You forget, this is clandestine, and not once, in any of my chem classes, or my acquisistions of real gear, did they mention, this is a fumeless hood, and this one, can only be used with non flammable materials.

I think its rather a nice try at first post and allow me to welcome you here. You missed the whole sparks and flammable gaseous vapors thingy,  ;)  but otherwise good idea.

tranceport

Now nitrous...
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 02:10:00 AM »

moo

Yes, point taken. I think I wasn't reacting to
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2003, 06:48:00 AM »
Yes, point taken. I think I wasn't reacting to the post nitrous made but to the posts after it, knowing that there are many good solutions to the problem waiting to be found in the archives. Of course, it is good that people really try to come up with their own ideas, that's the way innovations are made. But then again, we are standing on the shoulders of giants, which in these parts means TFSE with all its info. The best way is first to UTFSE and read, after which some of the problems that have been bothering are resolved, after which there is ground for new innovations. I'd just like the newbees to understand that if they want to get something really good, the have no other choice than to find out about what has been discussed over the years.

And nitrous, keep going! I wouldn't make my fume hood out of glass. Consider the possibility of explosions and all that.

Organikum

"bilge fan" is what you´re after
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2003, 09:59:00 AM »
The fucking fan needed in fumehoods is called "bilge fan" and is used in boats. It is to get all over for not very much money and is made exactly for this: evacuating possibly corrosive and explosive gaseous mixes.

Regards to notfman who did dig this up long time ago.

Everything else whats not explicitely marked as "explosion proof" will either lead to an explosion or the bearings will corrode.

nitrous351

Thanks for the advice
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »
Wow, I totally didn't think about the sparks from the motor... it's a good thing I haven't tested it with chems yet... I tested it by boiling water and letting the vapor get sucked out. I will get one of those squirrel cage motors, or alter my design.
< now all you need to ask is what's the fastest way to cook dope...> (paraphrase) Whoever said that, I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but if it was condescending, you have another thing coming. I am a college educated bee who has a passion for chemistry. I also like to have fun.. I don't dream about syntheses so I can "cook up dope" and sell it on the street corner to 12 yr old kids to make a few bucks. I dream about syntheses because I'm tired of paying outrageous prices for "dope" of unknown quality. Since I have the knowledge, why not dream myself?

wyndowlicker

Explosion free motors
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 06:21:00 PM »
Hey now,

Yes indeed if you take a look around those fans arent cheap even used.Upwards to a grand.The ones recomended for fume hoods.So your saying that they can bee had for much cheeper?Great.What about when working with a professional fume hood?Flip a link for a good fan if ya got em' :P Also remember when you were a newbee it wasnt easy. :P

jose

think boats
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 05:11:00 AM »
skip back a bit in the posts
those boat blower fans really move air, are sparkless, and cheap as fuck
remember to use a 110 to 12v converter

raffike

I don't know if it's just me but i've never...
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2003, 08:07:00 AM »
I don't know if it's just me but i've never seen a fan motor with brushes,3 phased or 1 phased.

calcium

there are brushes and there are brushes
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »
Raffike, knowing that English isn't your primary language, I wonder if you realize that we what we call a "brush" in an electric motor is a carbon block shaped to fit the motor's rotor, not literally a brush with bristles. No flaming or even sparks (bad pun) intended, just clarification. Lots of fans have motors with brushes. I'll shut up now...

raffike

Yes,we refer to these carbon thingies as ...
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »
Yes,we refer to these carbon thingies as brushes too,there are 2 of em in motor if all.But because these brushes wear,they only use them when absolutely needed,like in electric power drills and stuff where motors must be powerful yet light.