Author Topic: condenser question  (Read 3176 times)

AEROSTATIC3

condenser question
« on: August 20, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »
Sorry for the innappropriately placed post (probably should go in the equipment forum), but SWIA figured I'd getter a better response in this one, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  I know from the 'literature' that when performing reflux say, in the event of an RP/I reduction, a condenser of the straight central tube variety is used with efficiency... SWIA has also seen Allihns work very well.  However, a friend of SWIA obtained a condenser of the coiled inner tube variety, wherein the coolant flows thru the inner coil.  What is this type of condenser called, and can it be used with the same efficiency? And if so, would there be any difference in how one would perform the reaction i.e. longer reflux time, etc??  Any elaboration would be appreciated Bees.

12cheman12

swim knows alot of people who dont even use a...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 09:49:00 PM »
swim knows alot of people who dont even use a condensor for the LWR, but the one you stated is fine to use (im not sure of the name but if you UTFSE youll find it easy) read through the condensor section of voguls 3rd edition on rhodiums site for diagrams and explantions of all different condensors.
And it wont make a difference on how one would preform a reaction.

NaXen

friedrichs
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 03:08:00 PM »
that sounds like a friedrichs condenser, i would think that it would be alright, as 12cheman12 said. anything that can cool the vapour and keep a good reflux going (constant vaporization and condensation, dripping back down into the vessel) will work fine... the RP/I reduction isnt really very fussy

AEROSTATIC3

thanks nax....
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 06:26:00 AM »
thanks nax....