Author Topic: EUREKA- Safrol from Piper Callosum oil  (Read 1638 times)

Peaktime

EUREKA- Safrol from Piper Callosum oil
« on: April 29, 2003, 02:35:00 AM »
After maybe 4 months of hard search around my country (Brazil) for some source of Safrol , after looking for every essencial oil store around here, I think I found!!
Sassy oil is kinda of hard to obtain here...A law to protect the natural enviroment here doensn´t allow anymore the exploration of this safrol tree.....
So I thought my journey to make some of the honey has just finished before it really started.....
I thought of importing it from the EUA, via internet, but as far as I know it is getting rare around there too, and it´s some risky maybe...
But reading on a forum from here about the subject (something rare), someone said something about an oil that is commonly sold here, very common in fact... And the person said it was the oil of  Piper callosum, reading about that, I found it was 70% safrol (leaf oil)...
I will buy it tomorrow, and if it has some safrol I think I can find out, by the smell for example... (If someone have any idea to help me know if the oil has some safrol or don´t(easy method) please tell me.....).
So, one more thing....I don´t understand much things about essencial oils, but I think if it is the oil of the Pepper (it is in fact a pepper??) it must be the LEAF oil....But I´m not sure....As soon as I find out I´ll post here...

foxy2

Are you sure its commonly sold?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 04:30:00 AM »
Are you sure its commonly sold?
There is very little about it online.

ClearLight

if it smells like rootbeer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 01:36:00 AM »
It's got safrole in it.  I got ahold of some of the mexican safrole plant (piper argentium???) and rubbed the leaves.. sweet root-beery smell...

Peaktime

Looking for
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 12:26:00 AM »
I´m still searching for it, cause there´s some kind of confusion related to the popular name of the oil..
But I´m optimistic!!!
This afternoon, I got a catalog, with the name of several oils a company from here sells, with the price...And I found this:
Ocotea pretiosa (brazilian sassafras) - leaf oil, by steam destilation

hedonisticfool

cant find it either...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 01:45:00 PM »
cant find it either... does it have another name???
but failing that, there is brown camphor oil which ive found! :)