Author Topic: calamus oil  (Read 2019 times)

GC_MS

calamus oil
« on: October 18, 2002, 04:46:00 PM »
I have a question regarding calamus oil. Close to my home, there is a small shop where they sell essential oils. I regularly buy stuff there, though not for the processing of amphetamines or whatever. The shop sells some calamus oil, but the owner doesn't know much about the origin. (S)he only knows it comes from Korea.
I've used TFSE and Google, but the more I read, the more I get confused. There seems to be a herb called Xi Xin which is grown in Korea and northern China. I'm not sure its oil is called 'calamus oil' as well though. Also, some sites report that Xi Xin contains alot of asarone, while others say it contains almost no asarone.
So my question: any bee out there who can actually confirm (by experience or knowledge) that Xi Xin is called calamus oil as well, and if it is, how much asarone it contains? Or do Korean farmers grow Acorus species for export as well, and could it be Koreo-Indian calamus oil?

WOMAN.ZIP: Great Shareware, but be careful of viruses...

Rhodium

GC_MS

stench
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2002, 11:12:00 AM »
Found this on a website: As a result, calamus oil produced in India, Nepal, Pakistan, Japan and China where percentage of beta-asarone is in the range of 70 to 90% has diminished the market potential of this oil while calamus produced from diploid strains in North America are asarone free.
I received the oil yesterday, but haven't had the time yet to analyze it. However, the oil has an odour I'm not familiar with, and unlike most of the essential oils I've smelled before, this one has a certain stench... bad smell.

geh in die knie. wackle mit den hueften. klatsch in die haende. und tanz den mussolini.

jimwig

so may i assume that "asurane" is asarone in nonĀ ...
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2002, 08:20:00 PM »
so may i assume that "asurane" is asarone in non oriental parts?

that was a deliberate mispelling for those who do not give a fuck. the anti search engine like reverse social engineering has spread around the camp fire.