Author Topic: Mecuric Iodide for Methyl Mans Al/Hg  (Read 3047 times)

abuse

Mecuric Iodide for Methyl Mans Al/Hg
« on: October 11, 2003, 06:40:00 PM »
I've read many posts regarding HgI2 and how it can be used in place of HgCl2 in a typical MM Al/Hg amalgamation. For a 25g ketone run, many bees reported to add several drops of Hg (actually, it's 295mg to be exact) to a bottle of 2% Iodine tincture. This should sit in the dark for about 1 week with vigorous shaking from time to time. The part I don't like is that some bees dumped the entire tinture into the flask to begin the amalgamation. Is this really necessary? When Hg reacts with Iodine it creates a precipitate, which should be filtered from the iodine tincture solution before adding to the flask for amalgamation. There is no reason to add all that extra iodine solution to the flask.

If I remember correctly, Hellman mentioned that he reacted Hg with I2 crystals, and it created a very fine scarlet silt-like sand (HgI2), so I'm thinking that this silt might be difficult to filter, so that might be why many bees simply dumped the tincture into the flask to avoid problems with filtering the HgI2 out of the tincture.

Vitus_Verdegast

Why not use mercuric nitrate?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 04:46:00 PM »
It is quickly and easily made by adding a *small* amount of conc. HNO3 (60% or more) dropwise to a couple of drops of mercury, until all metal is gone. You will have a white precipitate.

abuse

What's HNO 3 ? Is there an OTC source or brand
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 09:12:00 PM »

tao

Nitric Acid
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 11:35:00 PM »
Not otc as far as I know.

Chimimanie

What about
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 12:00:00 AM »
H2SO4 + KNO3 then distill at 122°C?

homeslice

havent tried it but...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 05:47:00 AM »
what's wrong with hellman's synth of just placing i2 on hg? i mean i know i2 isnt available everywhere i guess, but swim has no problem at all here
does that make hgi2? or hg2i2 which i read somewhere on here is insoluble?
and.. has anyone done as hellman says: just placing the i2 on the hg? can someone elaborate a little bit on that?
this is the post also

Post 337180

(hellman: "HgI2-Hellman style", Chemistry Discourse)

k0dog

deefinetly not.........
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »
you can purchase it as a soil pH decreaser... Check the label for the highest purity... and do it up....  I think the "generic Name" is called pH Down... but use the search engine.....

Vitus_Verdegast

Aw common..
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 08:52:00 PM »
You can get nitric acid easy if you look around a bit.
Of course, I am not in the USA, and since nitric acid can be used in manufacture of explosives you could be considered a suspected terrorist when buying a gallon.  :P

Yes, pH down in hydroponics store is a good option, although I believe the strenght is only ~40%

Na/KNO3 is used as a soil fertilizer, you can get a big bag easily.

UTFSE for more information

abuse

I agree
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 10:30:00 PM »
Hellman's account of reacting Hg with I2 crystals is probably better than mixing Hg with iodine tincture. Despite the fact that both methods create a sufficient amount of HgI2 for use in MM Al/Hg amination, I can't see how all that extra Iodine/IPA/Potassium Iodide from the tincture won't fuck around with the Al/Hg reaction, even though some bees reported success when they used the HgI2 straignt from the tincture bottle, so I guess it works!  8)

If one were to use Hellmans method, then one would need iodine crystals. The link below is a procedure documented by Seelight that details how to extract iodine crystals from 100ml's of 5% tincture, which is easily obtained from any veterinary supply (no prescription required and not suspicious at all to purchase), although Seelight's method yields only 8g of Iodine. A bit low, but if it's for a 25g ketone run using Al/Hg, that's way more than you need (you only need to react 373mg of I2 with 295mg of Hg to create 669mg HgI2 for 25g of ketone, just to be exact  ;) )

Seelight's method of extracting Iodine from 5% tincture

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/iodine.tincture.html

homeslice

even easier
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2003, 12:15:00 AM »
Just add 1 part tincture, 1 part 3% h2o2 and 1 part dh2o together. Then add 1/20th part muriatic. Shake and let sit overnite. Personally swim thinks this is better b/c its really easy to mess it up if one adds too much bleach.

abuse

That's interesting. I haven't heard of that...
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2003, 02:25:00 AM »
That's interesting. I haven't heard of that method. It doesn't require H2SO4? Can you provide some extra info? What happens after you let it sit overnight? Just filter out the crystals?

homeslice

it should be a write up
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 05:41:00 AM »
SWIMs personally used it like that with 7% tincture and it worked fantastic. With the h2so4 and bleach method, ya get like powdery i2. With the h2o2 method it comes back nice long crystal shiny-ass shards  :)
Dont panic if you do it and nothing precipitates, just give it time and shake it up alot. SWIM personally likes to use his glassware for stuff like this but a 20oz  or 2-litre bottle works like a charm. SWIM did it once with a pint, waited an hour and nothing... Swim got pissed and just let it sit there. Then swim came back the next day and there it was, nice fineass lookin crystals. I think i read about geez doing it first so i hadda try it cuz hes my favorite bee  :) . When he talks about 3/4 shot glass, i remember reading other posts that elaborated on it being exactly 1/20 muriatic.

Post 392505 (missing)

(geezmeister: "how much?", Stimulants)