Author Topic: Sassafrass woes!  (Read 1982 times)

nitrous351

Sassafrass woes!
« on: May 30, 2003, 09:51:00 PM »
SWIM has read all 18 hundred billion posts about how to get sassy, but swim HAS to ask opinions on this PLEASE??!!!?? swim lives in Smalltown, USA... they don't have any hippie grocery stores or stores that sell sassy oil. swim has been looking online for like 2 weeks straight (typing in every combination of words swim can think of to lead swim to the liquid gold). The only places swim can find that sell the oil in sizes greater than 3mL are in Canada. swim knows ordering from Canada can bee dangerous, but what if swim got a friend to order it for him? (this friend would have NO idea what swim would be using it for) Swim is starting to get desparate, but is not yet to the point of stupidity. Please advise how I can get this without digging up my own damn tree and having to steam distill the roots... I really don't want to have to do this!

mr_grieves

extracting from rootbark
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 02:55:00 AM »
the rootbark goes for anywhere from $8-25  per pound and can contain 10 percent safrole.  Thats probably about 30g safrole per pound. if youre desperate

Tdurden969

Smalltown usa
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »
Plus if you're in "smalltown usa" there's a good probabillity  that you have some woods around...so.... go out and look for Sassafras trees - or even Red Cedar....

The sassafras tree is found in the Eastern United States from Maine to Florida and as far west as Iowa and Texas.

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Sass_alb.html

Eastern redcedar is the most widely distributed conifer of tree size in the Eastern United States and is found in every State east of the 100th meridian. The species extends northward into southern Ontario and the southern tip of Quebec (27). The range of eastern redcedar has been considerably extended, especially in the Great Plains, by natural regeneration from planted trees..

Rhodium's page has some more info.. but you already looked there right.....?

Anyways - steam distillation is EZEE - so stop being lazy and go out for a nature hike - or a camping trip if the need bee. And if you DO order it commercially - dont have it sent to someplace you can be easily connected to.. "have someone else order the chemicals, if possible, but realize that THEY will be the ones that get the third-degree if caught. If you don't trust them with your life, and they haven't got nerves of steel, both of you will go down." -elusius

T

homeslice

Im in the same boat with you
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 11:08:00 AM »
I live in smalltown USA also and it took me a while to find a safe-looking source on the web. Even after finding a source that seemed legit i still got it ordered to a friends house. But one good hint for searching on the web: search for those small silly magic supply stores like wiccan and that stuff. Im not gonna give you the source for exactly where i got it from though. I just happened to accidently stumble upon it and everything worked out great

ClearLight

AKK TMI
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 11:34:00 AM »
Hey hombee newbie whatever.. PM that shit if your gonna discuss types of stores etc..... that's already too much information (TMI)!  Your new... See that big sticky post about No Sources!  read it again...

sYnThOmAtIc

Sure steam distillation is quite easy...heeh
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 05:13:00 PM »
But chemical extraction is even easier quicker and more efficient. But those are not the cons. the con is digging up 10kg of root bark!!!! So Why don't you list some practical ideas or research some new ones. Hell I'd order soem hispindervum+ spelling to plant in my yard before I dig up another 20kg of root bark to get a piss porr amount of sassy. I'd rather go on a vacation to vancouver and buy a couple gallong on my way back.

yinga

Extract when bark is still fresh and wet
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 04:02:00 PM »

Post 336702

(goiterjoe: "pretty small scale", Methods Discourse)

cthulhujr

sassy long-shot
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 01:32:00 AM »
Is the root bark the only safrole bearing part of the sassy tree??
   Swim has speculated the rhizome (spelling?) that is the hairlike roots, may contain safrole as well.
   Since a sassy tree spread it's progeny from root starts, a large amount of rhizome might be easily grown with very simple apperatus, rapidly.

This is total speculation keep in mind, swim has no intention to pursue the matter, himself.

methyl_ethyl

Almost
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 08:09:00 AM »
Almost, I think you are just slightly confused.  A rhizhome is not hair like at all.  You are correct in stating that they "spread" progeny this way however   they must not be compared to roots.  Rhizomes are more or less stems that move laterally at ground or just below ground level.  They have axilary buds, nodes and scale like leaves, unlike roots.  I would speculate that the safrole content of these rhizomes would be compareable to the safrole content of the tree bark itself, which is fairly low.  Rhizoids are hairlike structures that are microscopic.  They are mostly found on plant species such as bryophytes and liverworts.  Sasafrass albidum as far as I know does not posess rhizoids.  This does bring up a good question however.  I have never really thought about the safrole content of the rhizomes.  I guess one could weigh out equal amounts of rhizome bark, and root bark then distill or extract oil from this, weigh the amount of oil.  Then seperate the safrole fraction, and weigh?  That is interesting.  Maybe I will have some time this weekend, there are about 5 small sassy trees right outside my front door, that are in need of sacrafice for research purposes. ;)

baalchemist

Freezing out water from safrole? Impossible.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2003, 04:26:00 AM »
Freezing out water from safrole? Impossible. Water freezes at 0c, safrole at 8c. You more than likely tossed most or all of the safrole out with the frozen H2O...

NeoSynthesis

Canadian Sassy.... now a myth?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 11:28:00 PM »
I've read a million posts, articles, websites, etc. on the status of Sassafras Oil sales in Canada. To date - I've yet to find any information that answers in an up-to-date, and clear cut fashion the question of: Can Sassafras Oil be legally obtained/sold/imported/whatever in Canada? Help!!!

OcoteaCymbarum

Look at this post and link
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 07:53:00 AM »
Look at this link

Post 395514 (missing)

(gabd: "Sorry guys", Chemicals & Equipment)

As far as I know, you can still get the oil in Canada, but I would hurry and built a stock now or it will be too late soon I think

RoundBottom

why canada?
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2003, 01:14:00 PM »
why would buying it in canada be any different than in the states?  i would assume that effective january 01, 2003 it is officially a schedule VI, class A precursor, that you'd be better off getting it elsewhere.  any slack in the enforcement of this act is almost certainly a bureaucratic delay.

by elsewhere, i mean ebay, where i just saw 2 lbs go for $455USD.  i would love to know if that sale actually goes through, as one could make almost as much profit without the legal issues by selling it "unprocessed."