Author Topic: Heat Source Problem  (Read 1942 times)

Lucid_Dreamer

Heat Source Problem
« on: November 24, 2003, 07:17:00 AM »
SWIM's heat source is registered to go up to 200C but when tested with a crappy thermometer, it only reaches 100C on high. The thermometer is digital with a metal probe meant to measure the heat of meat, it's registered to read up to 200C. The heat source is made of stainless steel and I think the thermometer probe is too, either one of the two isn't working like it should or there is a malfunction with reading the temperature of stainless steel. SWIM purchased this for the sole purpose of reaching 200C, no more, no less, I want to use it to make sodium carbonate from baking soda, and also re-enacting the first organic synth, mixing Urea with sodium carbonate, well not the first organic synth but it's close enough. I first theorized that the thermometer may only be measuring the moisture, ie it's only reading 101 C because that is the vapor point of water, can anyone help?

beez_neez

sodium carbonate
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 10:25:00 AM »
can be purchased from a pottery supply shop as 'soda ash'. much cheaper than purchasing the epuipment to synth.it. but if all about the synth., then why not get yourself a heating mantle and an appropriate thermometer. mantle = 400 oC and therm. are just so cheap.

Lucid_Dreamer

Thanks, I was pulling my hair out trying to...
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks, I was pulling my hair out trying to find it as a Ph up thing. The eqiupment wasn't just for the carbonate, I want to also use it to make NaCN, I just needed it to go to 200C to make the carbonate cause I couldn't find any OTC and it's the only thing to X off my X-mas list.

I conducted a couple of experiments anyway, I found the source of the problem, I read the manual, and it says it has an automatic switch off and switch on to regulate the temperature, so basically, If you leave it on too long the thing overheats and the temp will read to the machine I guess as 200C when the actual vessel, a stainless steel pot is only half that, I came to this conclusion after turning the dial to 100C and water was placed inside, it began to boil, but when I turned it up to the highest, it boiled more vigorously but leveled off and reverted back to normal boiling. The water was removed and the thing was dried, after that I placed the baking soda in there and the stuff started to form solids but then they broke up and the temp lowered itself, I am going to let it cool with the baking soda in there and start it back up again in a while, starting with full blast, hopefully the stuff will fully convert to the carbonate before the temp regulator fucks me over again. I made another discovery also, I've been noticing white stuff on my gums in the morning when I brush my teeth, the water I placed in the pot left the same residue :o  I will never drink bottled water again, oh yeah the wter placed in the pot was bottled water, Two wisdoms for everyone, don't drink bottled water, don't use retail store deep fryers, fondue pots or the such.

By the way, where are these heating mantles found, for future reference, maybe I can get some spare dough down the road.

Osmium

> I made another discovery also, I've been...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 02:17:00 PM »
> I made another discovery also, I've been noticing white stuff
> on my gums in the morning when I brush my teeth, the water I
> placed in the pot left the same residue I will never drink
> bottled water again,

Lord, please throw some brain matter down on these unworthy bees! Sheesh!