Author Topic: Sep Funnel Stopcock Replacement?  (Read 1965 times)

FlaskGenie

Sep Funnel Stopcock Replacement?
« on: January 28, 2004, 05:12:00 AM »
Just purchased a 4L sep funnel at auction. It Came w/o a stopcock.  The bore is 10mm.  the barrel is 23mm on one side and 28mm on other.  I think it needs to be replaced w/ glass stopcock but I am not sure of what to order.  Thanks in advance

abolt

?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 05:17:00 AM »
You have a funny way of asking questions.

Try to obtain a teflon tap as glass ones have been known to seize.

Does your Sep funnel have a brand name? If so, contact the manufacturer and tell them you lost the original tap fitting (some B.S. like "it fell down the drain" etc.) and you wish to purchase another.

If you have to use a glass tap then contact a lab glass maker.

biotechdude

Abolt's advise is right on, but as you ...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 09:21:00 AM »
Abolt's advise is right on, but as you purchased the sep funnel from auction i assume you prefer to not deal with lab/glass companies.

So if seeking a ghetto replacement, look in big rubber stores (they will have rubber stoppers), wine spirit and brewery suppliers (they have em for their drums and tubs etc.., or even as corks for different bottles), or carve one yourself if your bored.  Cover it with teflon tape so it doesn't absorbe solution.  You can even use your gloved palm or similar if you're in a real dilly of a pickle

calcium

just buy a new one...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 01:41:00 PM »
I wouldn't trust the contents of a 4 liter sep funnel to a homemade stopcock!

If the tapered opening is frosted, you need a ground glass stopcock. If clear, you need a teflon one. The two are not interchangable.

Buying a replacement from a lab supply co. is not at all suspicious and is unavoidable unless you bought that funnel just for looks.

Osmium

> The two are not interchangable.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 02:24:00 PM »
> The two are not interchangable.

Teflon stopcocks work well in those made for glass.

FlaskGenie

Thanks much for all of the advice.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 02:56:00 AM »
Thanks much for all of the advice.
I guess my question clarified is this.  There seems to be only two options for replacement of my missing stopcock.  On glass and one glass PTFE coated.  Either of these options cost more than the funnel.  I guess what im asking is is there only one size glass stopcock plug at this size flask.  I just don't want to get stuck trying to answer a lot of questions I am not exp. enough to field from a friendly overly helpful clerk.  Thanks again

Rhodium

no correlation
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 04:02:00 AM »
I guess what im asking is is there only one size glass stopcock plug at this size flask.

No, there are lots of different sizes.