Author Topic: steam juice extractor  (Read 3606 times)

GOD

steam juice extractor
« on: May 10, 2002, 04:45:00 AM »
swim was digging through some old posts and read up about randloph carters 'steam juice extractor' that he got from

http://www.cumberlandgeneral.com

(do a product search for steam)
says it holds up to 9 liters or something like that.
Thinking about using one of these rather than dicking around with a p.cooker and glass etc (swim isnt very handy) in order to bee able to steam distill somewhat large amounts of sassy rootbark.
In old posts (quite old) there were a few complaints about the amount produced, but swim thoinks thats just cause folks maybee didnt know any better back then.
If the water used was basified, do bees think this would bee a viable (worthwhile) tool for such a thing?
Mr carter says 1-1.5 kg lots of rossed bark could bee used to extract 10-70g of oil per kg.
How do bee's think this would compare to using a semi large soxhlet extractor with solvent instead?  (time-wise, efficiency etc...)
Also, does any bee know exactly what the word 'rossed' means?  As in  "rossed root bark has the highest percentage of oil in it"?

Swim is getting pretty annoyed as he has just about covered all aromatherapy/herbal shops in his area and not a single freakin drop of oil.  Combined with hearing bees complaining about denatured/honeyless oil via the net and safety concearns- swim is ready to break a sweat and become self productive.
damnit.

My mom tells me Im good lookin'!!!

GOD

sorry!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 05:13:00 PM »
sorry swim put up a source above.
went to edit it and ended up going searching to find the post number (to put up instead of the link) and screwed up my ability to further edit the post by accident- ::)
sorry!

Jetson

arr!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 06:05:00 PM »
umm,  i'm interested in the internals of the above mentioned steamer.  especially after looking at the pic of it on the above mentioned SOURCE link ;) (good thing i got to it before the mods :o ).  it just looks like a bigger pressure cooker with a steam inlet or something on the bottom.?.?  anymore info on this thang?  esp.  the inside and how it's constructed?

the devil is so lonely >:(

juggaer

definition of rossed
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 09:07:00 PM »
"Some barks must be rossed, that is, remove the outer or rough woody part. In this class are such barks as white pine, wild cherry, etc."

I would think the rough woody part is the bark, which is supposedly the good stuff but I have no personal experience.  You asked some good questions that i would like to see answered myself.   It seems that most of the information in the archives on sassafras roots and operations on them is heresy.  Some good first-hand information and numbers on yields etc. from distilling root bark would be fantastic.

"We must be the change we wish to see."
-- Gandhi

GOD

Swim called the toll free number and talked to ...
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 10:42:00 PM »
Swim called the toll free number and talked to the idiot at the sales desk.  She seems to believe that the contraption is merely the outer shell, plus the lid and waterpan (which goes on the bottom) plus a collander- all of which are stainless steel, she isnt sure about the tubing, and assumes its made of plastic- what kind of plastic she doesnt know.  Swim assumes that this could bee used with basic water.
hmmm
~$150 with shipping costs
swim might just give it a try and do some side by side experiments with the little bit of sassy rootbark hes managed to buy from some local health shops. He'll put an order out and get back after hes done a couple side by side extractions (soxhlet w/solvent vs steam distillation w/said steam juice extractor- with basified h2o and without basified h2o)
As it stands, buying the oil straight up seems much more cost efficient, but with the bullshit going around (safrole-less oil plus people getting knocks on the door for ordering sass) it seems like this is the way to go- especially for bee's who can locate the tree locally and not have to buy it.
Theres a shitload more work involved, but anonymity is a little more important these days and it sure would bee a nice feeling to know that one can bee just about completly self sufficient and manage an almost 100% otc synth that would involve just about no watched chems (includes making benzoquinone from hydroquinone, making pdcl2 from pd etc...).  It also seems like it'd bee a good toy to have around for making other steam distillations as well.

edit:on second thought, with a makeup like that, a swims 27 quart pressure cooker would bee much more efficent seeing as how its got 27 quart capacity.. all one would have to do is get a suitable stainless steel water dish and a stainless collander to fit properly on the inside and fix a nipple on the lid so's one could attach a hose.  The only difference with the steam juicer is just that the outlet is on the bottom and there is smaller capacity (9 liter).

Jetson

yup
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2002, 05:07:00 PM »
"on second thought, with a makeup like that, a swims 27 quart pressure cooker would bee much more efficent seeing as how its got 27 quart capacity.. all one would have to do is get a suitable stainless steel water dish and a stainless collander to fit properly on the inside and fix a nipple on the lid so's one could attach a hose.  The only difference with the steam juicer is just that the outlet is on the bottom and there is smaller capacity (9 liter)."

yup that's what swij was wondering.

the devil is so lonely >:(

Lindera

kitchen steam distill
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2002, 07:22:00 AM »
|\     /|             
       |"\ice/"|
       | '\_/'  |
       |   !    |    <--lobster pot
       | \___/|
       |~(a)~|
       |........|
           Y
        sterno

an easy steam distill can be made from:
1. lobster pot
2. metal mixing bowl
3. glass  pickle jar
4. bricks
5. can o'Sterno
6. cereal bowl or small wok
step 1. Take lobster pot and place on top of bricks
step 2. place glass pickle jar in ceter of pot with a
        little bit of water, figure a
step 3. place mashed plant matter around jar with a small
        amount of water.
step 4. place cereal bowl on top of pickle jar
step 5. place mixing bowl with ice, flush with edges of
        lobster pot.
step 6. Place lit sterno under lobster pot.

How it works...
The heat from the sterno heats up the moistier in the plant matter to produce steam the steam rises up and is consed back into a liquid and runs down the metal bowl and drips into the cearal bowl. once the procces is complete simply seperate the oil from the water. If you'd like more info I'd recomend "The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible" isbn# 0967452406

ZingoBingo

Excellent graphics
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2002, 03:15:00 AM »
Lindera, looks like an old alt.drugs diagram.

ZB

GOD

heh- that there looks more like a home made ...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2002, 05:19:00 PM »
heh- that there looks more like a home made soxhlet extractor than a steam distiller.
useful nonethe less- thank you.