Author Topic: Percipitation of Cu  (Read 1713 times)

Vibrating_Lights

Percipitation of Cu
« on: June 01, 2003, 08:25:00 AM »
How can elemental copper be percipitated out of a CuSO4 solution?
  If CuSo4 Was used in the cathode compartment of an electrochemical would the copper percipitate as the element once reductoin begun?
Can NaBh4 percipitate the Cu

raffike

Some more electronegative metal like Fe or...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 01:44:00 PM »
Some more electronegative metal like Fe or something would push Cu out.

Baba_McKensey

Fe
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 05:59:00 PM »
They use ferric chloride to etch copper circuit boards, so I don't think iron would work.  Electrolysis should work.  I tried it with zinc sulfate and it works good.

raffike

Ferric chloride is not Fe.Iron salts do not...
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 06:20:00 PM »
Ferric chloride is not Fe.Iron salts do not react with copper.

Chromic

aluminum foil
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 08:14:00 PM »
I'd use aluminum foil in a conc. solution of CuSO4... then soak the ppt with conc. NaOH and finally wash with water.

Organikum

precipating of copper
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 08:20:00 PM »

Preparation of copper from copper(II) sulfate
Add 2.5 g zinc metal to the copper(II)sulfate solution ... and allow it to stand, stirring occasionally, until the solution becomes colorless. The complete disappearance of color can be verified by adding a small drop of this solution to 1 mL concentrated ammonia in a test tube. If the resulting solution is colorless, it is safe to assume that all the copper ion has reacted. (The copper ion produces a deep blue solution in an ammonia solution.) Copper metal and unreacted zinc metal are now present in the beaker.

Now you want to get rid of the zinc I assume?

Solublization of Excess Zinc Metal

After the blue color is gone add 8 mL dilute 6 M HCl to the beaker, and stir to dissolve the zinc. Warm the solution gently to speed up the reaction. Hydrogen gas is evolved in the reaction of zinc with the acid, and complete solution of the zinc is indicated when bubbles of hydrogen cease to be evolved. This reaction can be hastened by warming the solution. CAUTION! DO NOT HEAT TOO VIGOROUSLY.

Perhaps you want the copper clean?

Washing and Collecting Copper Metal

When the reaction of Zn and HCl has stopped, allow the copper precipitate to settle, and decant the supernatant into a beaker. Pour the decantant containing the zinc solution into the waste container provided. Wash the solid twice, using 50 mL portions of distilled water each time, decanting the wash water into another beaker after each washing. Be very careful not to lose any copper while decanting.

found it here:

http://www.sonoma.edu/chemistry/chem115A/copper.html

voila!
This will work similar with aluminium. Don´t use foil, I had some bad experiences by precipating zinc with AL-foil as the foil did not really dissolve and.... thats an longer story, just use Al-wire (electro) or else.

If this Baba thinks it is bright to edit his posts for to make others look stupid - he may do so. I have a special place in my heart for this kind of wankers.
edit: I just realized that Baba is probably a PolySam incarnation.
Sam, get some professional help, please. "I´m right". Thats your credo now? Poor. Very poor.

Baba_McKensey

I'm right
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 04:55:00 AM »
>How this Baba wants to precipate copper from coppersulfate by zincsulfate is a riddle for me. He did it he said! What spacetime and universum?

You read it wrong.  I said electrolysis of copper sulfate to get copper metal should work.  I electrolyzed zinc sulfate to get powdered zinc before and it worked with no problems.  Obviously English isn't your natural language. 

Ferric chloride does react with copper.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/415.html