Author Topic: naptha lighter fluid -Vs- colemans camping fuel  (Read 6002 times)

Bill clinton

naptha lighter fluid -Vs- colemans camping fuel
« on: April 02, 2000, 02:34:00 AM »
Your president is in need of your input in regards to naptha. As far as he knows, naptha in its pure form will work well as a nonpolar solvent for use in A/Bing eph and amine. He has heard it also will work well for gassing out crystals. Remember, I stated naptha in it's PURE FORM.

Is the lighter fluid naptha in the yellow bottle with the blue flip top PURE naptha, or is there other unwanted stuff in it?

Colemans camping fuel has naptha and petroleum distilates in it. Even though this is not pure, will it still work for the above mentioned purposes if it is used str8 outta the bottle, and nothing is done to remove the petroleum distilates?

How well does the naptha lighter fluid work in comparision to the colemans?

Assuming that the lighter fluid is pure naptha, it seems that it would be preferable. If it is not pure, just like the colemans is and assuming that those petroleum distilates will not mess things up then colemans would probably be better because it is wayyy cheaper.

I would appreciate any input that you hive members have to offer. I'm soooooo close to my goal. I must indicate to you that obtaining this information is vital for me.

Atomic Pickle

Re: naptha lighter fluid -Vs- colemans camping fuel
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2000, 03:04:00 AM »
Naphtha IS petroleum distillates (not the same petroleum distillates found in a can of "petroleum distillates", but naphtha is still ditillates of petroleum). There is not a single 'naphtha molecule'. "Pure" naphtha is a mixture of petroleum distillates with similar boiling points. I use VM&P Naphtha found in HomeDepot in the paint section. It works fine for what I use it for. If you naphtha also says it contains petroleum distillates, its the same as a can of lye saying it contains sodium hydroxide.

Bill clinton

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2000, 09:22:00 PM »
well why does the label say contains "naptha and petroleum distilates"?

That would be like a can of draino saying it contains "sodium hydroxide and lye"

Anyhow, does the stuff from colemas camping fuel and/or naptha lighter fluid have to be dried of cleaned or anything or can it be used str8 outta the can?

do you dry and/or clean the stuff you use?

Atomic Pickle

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2000, 09:33:00 PM »
Actually, a can of lye does say it contains lye and sodium hydroxide. On the front of the can it says "100% lye" and on the back it says "contains sodium hydroxide". Look at the "red devil lie" thread, we talked about the difference earlier this week.

I'm guessing that the reason it says contains naphtha and petroleum distillates is because it contains the petroleum distillates collectively called 'naphtha', and in addition to that, contains some additional petroleum distillates.

The stuff in the yellow bottle with the blue top is fine, but its expensive because you need a lot of it. The stuff I buy in homedepo is pretty much the same thing.

I dont dry the stuff I use. If you use the yellow bottle, you can use it straight out of the can.

Bill clinton

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2000, 12:41:00 PM »
Ok. thanks for telling me that it is ok to use the lighter fluid str8 outta the can. What about the colemans? any experience there?

Atomic Pickle

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2000, 03:02:00 AM »
COlemans should be fine too, depending on what you are doing. For A/B it will normally work.

Meth Breath

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2000, 06:22:00 AM »
Btw, naptha is the fractional distillation between kerosene and gasoline, yummy! I've found that I always get a few microliters I can't get rid of in the outcome of my dreams.

Bill clinton

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2000, 10:04:00 PM »
How bout gassing? will it work for that?

I am looking for 1 solvent that will work well for both, similar properties to that of toleune or xylene.

jbee

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2000, 08:46:00 PM »
coleman fuel works fine but it leaves a terrible smell and taste. try adding some ether about 1/2 and 1/2.

ate_up_farmboy

Colemans Fuel Works Fine For us
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2002, 02:48:00 AM »
Where Swim is from, Colemans is the NP of choice. 
It is used straight from the can with no problems, and gasses excellently. 
After gassing, Swim would filter product through 3 coffee filters and squeeze the hell out of them to get it pretty dry, then set on a mirror or other surface to air dry. 
He has never seen any problems from Coleman's, other than this one time when he get some blue meth, but he didnt make it, he just got some, so he doesn't know what happened to make it blue, the guy who made it said it was blue from the coleman's. 
Swim has never had this happen to his stuff, he thinks it may have just been because of the type of pills used.

blar, blar, blar...

pupilage

don't know about the colemans
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2002, 03:47:00 AM »
But in a dream have seen the blue appear as a very thin layer sitting on top of the sodium hydroxide layer between the coleman and lye interface. This blue tint carried over into the stuff crystalized. Could have been from the fuel. Guess a dream using the other fluid would tell the tale.
Has anyone else dreamed in blue ice?

"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

handsfull2

drying
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2002, 04:27:00 AM »
Swim would filter product through 3 coffee filters and squeeze the hell out of them to get it pretty dry, then set on a mirror or other surface to air dry. 

YOu know it's easy to dry without filters ' all you do is leave the mass in what ever you use' pour off excess np,  and take a blowdryer and carefully start drying no filters to mess with takes a couple mins .

Just saves time when your in a hurry and a little money on the filters but the electric from the hair dryer took the savings' if the filters work for you great '' just another thought, but you probally knew that process anyway....

as for colemans...... avoid the blue tint"unless no other choice"  stay with the clear .... but yes it's SWIHFTS choice of np ''' when gassing...Naptha is hard to dry' and others like toly and xylene are not that easy to get and actually colemans cheaper and works better.

just have to heat it up....before gassing. 

"A work in progress  "  

racemic

Don't use camp fuel!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2002, 07:52:00 PM »
You should never use camp fuel unless you have distilled it to purify. Any fuels used in camp stoves have rust inhibitors in them. They are waxy blue solids that are very bitter, and contain who knows what!!

Don't ever use unpurified camp fuel!!

Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things!

SQUIDIPPY

forget
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2002, 10:19:00 PM »
Forget all of the camping fuel and such. That's damn near the same as using gasoline. :(  Naptha should not bee used, as it causes "free radicals".

Use Xylene, Toulene, or ether.

Hmmm, eye see !!

handsfull2

Don't use camp fuel!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2002, 02:42:00 AM »
waxy blue solids ??? show me.... now some may contain the shit but not all........

Ok I'll take your advice under consideration '' ok I thought about it' and think I'll continue with what's easy and works.

Never fix something if it ain't broke.... period

some like xylene , toly and so on, but for the ease and cost give me colemans anytime and my camping equipment feels the same.

"A work in progress  "  

racemic

Lets all get pissy like little children!!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2002, 05:02:00 AM »
Ok HF I'm just trying to tell some people something I know and found out through experience. Camp fuels particularly the popular C brand contain waxy blue solids. On the bottom af a distillation flask when distilled.

Is that good enough for you.

Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things!

handsfull2

Lets all get pissy like little children!!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2002, 07:19:00 AM »
C brand contain waxy blue solids Is that good enough for you.

Well ok if you say so!!..... C brand contains that waxy blue solid that seems to give you a lot of shit' at one time it did'nt but that's a pissy nother story.

but there is still availble a camp fuel that this "blue your pissy bout" is not found.
did I spell pissy right?

It's not your C-brand hmmm don't use names colemans fuel.
But I will not argue that some of you feel this not to bee your cup of pissy.....

But the fuel without the blue pissy is  easy to obtain and still a cheap way to get the goods"a way to check is open the lid look at it' and if it looks blue don't get it..

now lets us go outside and play with the girls .

a comparison of naptha vs colemans' hmmmmm that's a pissy question.... Next.  

"A work in progress  "  

myles

naptha
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2002, 03:34:00 PM »
if you are keen on naptha make sure you heat it first. or you can stop wasting time with it and get some toulene.

The BEE game is why im here top score 300 points

handsfull2

heat it first
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2002, 06:32:00 PM »
Yes: heat your naptha and colemans before gassing.
If those are your choices then both require heat to bring out  the desired product if gassing.

"under construction "  

cthulhujr

blueness of the camp fuel
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2002, 07:20:00 PM »
That blueness is said to be rust inhibitors, by some. Best to spare the crystals from exposure to it. If one is forced to evap the stuff for whatever reason, yuck, blue crap.
 Naptha from the little yellow bottle is foul crap in swims opinion, to be avoided.
Both can be used in a pinch, though.
Why not gas from 'dry' xylene or toulene, if using hardware aisle stuff, some brands are definitly inferior as well.

That final a/b and recrystalization of whatever, is the last line of defense against contaminants. why not use the cleanest solvents that can be obtained.

Iä-R'lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn! Iä Iä!