Author Topic: Ethylamine molar amounts  (Read 1789 times)

scram

Ethylamine molar amounts
« on: July 27, 2002, 01:40:00 AM »
What is the correct molar ratio of EtAm to ketone? Is it the same as MeAm (2 to 4 molar excess over ketone). Swim only has about 72ml of this stuff and cant afford to excessively waste it like he did once before. Also, I remember Osmium saying once that the it was about 80grams aluminum per mole of ketone to be sufficient, cant remember correctly. I cant find that post anymore, so does anyone have the correct windows on molar ratios for al/ketone  and  EtAm/ketone. Thanks

Osmium

1:1.5 to 1:2 ketone/amine will work fine.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 11:05:00 PM »
1:1.5 to 1:2 ketone/amine will work fine. the more amine the better, but you should be able to get decent ok yields even with the lower ratio as long as you limit amine losses (cold water through condenser, not running it too hot, sheet Al, taking your time etc).

When you already have the amine (not nitroethane) and use thick Al then you will need less than 80g Al/mol ketone. About 50-60g Al/mol ketone should be sufficient.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

Osmium

If you have 70% EtNH2 in H2O: SG = 0.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 11:12:00 PM »
If you have 70% EtNH2 in H2O:
SG = 0.80g/ml; EtNH2 = 45g/mol

72ml * 0.8g/ml * 0.7(%) = 40g

40g / (45g/mol) = 0.88888

Those 72ml contain 40g (0.89mol) EtNH2. So You can aminate about 0.4 or 0.5 mol ketone with it.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

scram

Thanks, those numbers are what I was hoping.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 06:12:00 PM »
Thanks, those numbers are what I was hoping. Actually was going to use 1: 3.3  (ket/70%aqueous) molar yields. But those lower numbers you gave make me even happier. This stuff is extremely strong and opening it fills up a room quickly. But he keeps it closed and in the fridge.

scram

Here are the results for information purposes ...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 09:05:00 PM »
Here are the results for information purposes only:

50ml undistilled fluorecent yellow/amber oil.
26ml 70% Ethylamine
10g Al
~600ml Methanol
~150mg Hgcl2

Dumped in 1/2 the EtAm in after amalgam complete while externally heated. Put the remaining EtAm (except for 3ml of it) in ketone with MeOH and dripped in over 30 minutes. Put remaining 3ml of EtAm in after 3 hours. Ran al/hg hot for 9 hours and 3 more hours cold. Workup and gassing yielded just  under 21g purified product. These measurements  are way over the ratios given above, I know. But it was done this way to insure conversion using excessive al/etam. Bioassay was strong and overpowering. One person bit a chunk of his lip off. But shit makes you awefully sick for the next 2 days. Nausia, dizziness, etc