Author Topic: Another Ghetto Filtering Device  (Read 1588 times)

diogenes

Another Ghetto Filtering Device
« on: November 12, 2003, 08:52:00 PM »
I like to call this device the bull dick.
Parts needed: 1.---a PVC clean out fitting with its screw in end plug. 2.---a PVC coupling. 3.---a 12" piece of PVC pipe. 4.---a PVC cap. 5.---a tubeless tire valve stem. 5.---an electric drill with a bit. 6.--- a bicycle tire pump.

Sorry that I don't have any type of diagram but this is a pretty easy and cheap device to put together.All one needs to do is to drill a hole in the center of the screw in part of the clean out plug just big enough to pull the tire valve stem through, then screw it(end plug) back into its place.The end plug can then be lightly glued to the coupling, which in turn is lightly glued to the pipe.Now you have a 12" section of PVC pipe with a coupling,a clean out plug with a valve stem connected it. Now take the end cap and drill a few small holes in it and attach it tightly to the other end of the pipe do not glue this part as it is where the "cup" where filter paper will be placed into.
To filter something all one has to do is place a presoaked filter into the end cap "cup" and attach tightly to the pipe then unscrew the clean out plug, pour in what needs to be filtered, rescrew the plug and attach bicycle tire pump to the valve stem and hit the pump lightly 3 or 4 times-as much presure isn't needed.   
This device can be scaled up or down to meet most of your ghetto filteration needs. SWIM prefers 4" diameter and uses several coffee filters at once. It's a lot better than the slow process of ghetto gravity filtering because the filters don't get clogged up as fast and the what's being filtered comes out a lot cleaner. There may be some conderation with certain solvents and the PVC glue but all the glue is on the top end of the device.

diogenes

Where's the Critics?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 02:15:00 AM »
O.K. bees, this post has been up almost a week with no replys. Come on now, you can do better than that.Where's that good old fashioned Hive Bee criticism that we all use to check and counter-check each other. Throw something at me and make damn sure it's not a compliment.
Peace Out! 8)

a3d0a3m

Hmm
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 05:49:00 AM »
From your description it appears that you are employing positive pressure filtration rather than vacuum filtration which is supposedly 'bad'. Utfse for pressure filtration. Happy?

Chromic

pressure filtration
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »
I would think that pressure filtration is actually BETTER than vacuum filtration... you can apply more of a pressure differential to the solvent (faster filtration, etc)... most hand pumps can easily reach 50psi, where as hand vacuums can only reach like 10 psi... plus you don't have to worry about drawing fumes thru your vacuum pump.

The design mentioned here sounds okay. Nothing amazing... but functional nonetheless.