The Hive > Tryptamine Chemistry

LSD synthesis

<< < (3/6) > >>

crysalis:
Unfortunatly I do live in a city :(  although I may be able to find a few areas to grow it in, especially an old drive in movie theater near me; good sunlight and large area although I may have to set up a trellice(sp?) seeing as though there are few things for it to climb.

Thanks for the suggestion indole_amine, that site I linked sells already sprouted plants which could shave some time off although now i need to learn how to extract the seeds and how to initiate seeding. Any idea how many would be in a plant? I highly doubt i'd be lucky enough to get a kilo from a plant although I can dream :P , perhaps three should do it.

This extraction method seems reasonable, again its from Smith:

Extraction of Lysergic Acid Amides from Woodrose Seeds or Powdered Ergot

Reduce the seed material to a fine powder in a blender, and spread it out to dry. Grind it again if it is not fine enough after the first time due to dampness. Saturate the powdered seed material with lighter fluid, naphtha or ligroine. When completely saturated, it should have the consistency of soup. Pour it in a chromatography column and let it sit overnight. Remove the fatty oils from the material by dripping the lighter fluid or other solvent through the column slowly and keep testing the liquid that comes through for fats by evaporating a drop on clean glass until it leaves no greasy film. It will take several ounces of solvent for each ounce of seeds. Mix 9 volumes of chloroform with 1 volume of concentrated ammonium hydroxide and shake it in a separatory funnel. When it settles the chloroform layer will be on the bottom. Drain off the chloroform layer. Discard the top layer. Drip the chloroform wash through the column and save the extract. Test continuously by evaporating a drop on clean glass until it ceases to fluoresce under a black light. Evaporate the chloroform extracts and dissolve the residue in the minimum amount of a 3% tartaric acid solution. If all the residue doesn't dissolve, place it into suspension by shaking vigorously. Transfer the solution to a separatory funnel and wash the other vessel with acid in order to get all the alkaloid out. Pour the washings in the funnel also. Basify by adding sodium bicarbonate solution, and add an equal volume of chloroform. Shake this thoroughly, let it settle, remove the bottom layer and set it aside. Once again, add an equal portion of chloroform, shake, let it settle and remove the bottom layer. Combine the chloroform extracts (bottom layers) and evaporate to get the amides.

bbell:

java:
Here is more information found at the Rhodium  Chemistry Archives

....LSD commonly is produced from lysergic acid, which is  made from ergotamine tartrate, a substance derived from  an ergot fungus on rye, or from lysergic acid amide, a  chemical found in morning glory seeds
--- End quote ---

............as read at ../rhodium/chemistry
/lsd.synthesis.html

violethorn:
Making the hydrazide seems to be the most convenient method. Originally Hofmann used hydrazine hydrate and then at some point switched to anhydrous hydrazine. I imagine the yield is slightly better. However, pure hydrazine is used as an ingredient in rocket and jet fuel. It's hard to aquire, twice the price of the hydrate, much more volitile, more toxic and has a much shorter shelf life.

As far as your starting ingredient for the lysergic acid, I've no experience with HBRW seeds, but it sounds like a slim margin. What you want is ergot. A little goes a long way. SWIM sells it for forty dollars a gram. Canadian. bulk deals send private message. The neat thing is that when you have ergot you have the fungus Claviceps purpurea. Simply break one ergot open and scrape out some of the off-white substance in the center. It reproduces well on potato dextros agar which can be purchased from a microbiological supply store, or made yourself.

indole_amine:
"Making the hydrazide seems to be the most convenient method."

Surely not! There are several other synthetic routes using less dangerous reagents AND offering better yields, this includes for example the carbonyl diimidazole (CDI) method, as well as the different peptide coupling reagents like DCC and pyBrOP...

"What you want is ergot."

You want everything else but ergot. You want lysergic acid, which is not ergot. Ergot just produces lysergic acid, but the amount is very small, too (unless you have the skills of isolating a high-yielding strain  :P ). It further is toxic, will cause gangrene, most surely it is NOT one of the high yielding strains, and it still has to be cultivated in liquid media, and then there is the solvent extraction of several liters of mycelium-loaded liquid... :(  - And risking the hazards of handling and storing big volumes of toxic and/or explosive solvents, together with the risk of a claviceps intoxication (in fact one of the things that normally require "biohazard" signs and closed lab doors!  :o ) is NOT what you want, believe me.

At least not if you plan on making some acid for you and your friends. There are scientists at Sandoz spending their whole lifetime with cultivating highly mutated special claviceps strains though, so this might be the way to go if you're more into spending your whole life with cultivating toxic fungus and harvesting it... ::)

indole_amine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version