The Hive > Stimulants

Reducing alcohols with electricity

(1/3) > >>

levo:

Scottydog:
Would the equation to establish theoretical running time (rxn duration) bee the same, when oxidizing phenylalanine to d-amphetamine (with electricity) ala "kolbe"?

WizardX:
levo: I suggest you get this program if you want to learn about electrochemistry.

Electrochemistry Software POLAROGRAPH 5.4 http://www.drhuang.com/chemistry/index.htm

Organikum:
These equatations are theoretical for a perfect world and ideal conditions. As we dont have a perfect world with ideal conditions they are only useful for to tell the MINIMUM amount of electricity needed in such a reaction.

Overreduction is nonsense and a divided cell was used always. Think about this.

- References tell that the sulfuric acid ester is the best reducible one.
- A lately surfaced japanese patent tells that reduction in sulfuric acid as electrolyte and using lead electrodes works for chloroephedrine. I propose it will work better with the sulfuric acid ester.
- Forming the sulfuric acid ester in good yields is the actual problem.

Question:
Is there a way to form the sulfuric acid ester of (pseudo)ephedrine electrolytically or by another way than the one which is described on Rhodiums page which suffers from bad yields (~10g ester from 20g ephedrine IIRC)?

java:
I would like to follow up Scottydog inquiry on Phenylalanine. It's well known that the ester of Phenylalanine canĀ  be achived with a reflux in methanol with some HCl. Hence this conversion doesn't suffer from low yields, it would be interesting to see if the reduction of the ester to the hydrocarbon is possible in this case. From the onset it would probably take more current to remove it being an ester of a primary alcohol.......java

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version