Author Topic: Gassing with xylene  (Read 2802 times)

twodogs

Gassing with xylene
« on: May 12, 2003, 05:23:00 PM »
I have had a quick search but could find no direct reference to anyone gassing with xylene. I am assuming that it would be as equally effective as toluene. Is this correct?

hCiLdOdUeDn

Yes...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 05:46:00 PM »
Gassing in xylene works well. It can hold a little bit more more water per liter than toluene, but has about the same properties of toluene like density, except xylene's BP is slightly higher than toluene.

bones

yeah... mabey dry it first
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 06:34:00 PM »
yeah... mabey dry it first

gabd

Are u sure about that hidencloud
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 09:33:00 PM »
Are u sure xylene hold more water then toluene?
I think its the opposite

From msds sheets:

For Xylenes

H2O/oil = 0.00075

and for Toluene

H2O/oil  = 0.0026

So toluene can hold 2.6 part water per thousand part toluene
and xylene 0.75 parts per thousand

As for gassing, xylene works great. I never used anything else and never had any problems. Of course always dry your xylene with epsom salts before gassing.

carboxyl

I have gassed in both xylene and toluene,...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 10:37:00 PM »
I have gassed in both xylene and toluene, there were no strikingly noticeable yield differences as both were done on the same scale. If you are gassing, I can't stress how important dryness is. When there is water contamination, there is a mess.

mindlib

When solvents are frac-distilled, is it ...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »
When solvents are frac-distilled, is it necessary to use drying agents as well..?
Thanks
or UTFSE?

Rhodium

Need for drying agent even if distilling
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 05:03:00 PM »
UTFSE. It depends on if the solvents form azeotropes with water. Ethanol for example cannot be fractionately distilled to more than ~95%, to get 99%+ ethanol you need to use drying agents like Mg/I2 or CaO (see TFSE).

Organikum

absolute waterfree ?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 07:41:00 PM »
Why do you not evapourate/softly boil out the water for your  dryness? Adding an alcohol (IPA, EtOH, MeOH..) should form an even easier to distill tertiary azeotrope by which the remaining nonpolar will get as nonaquaeous as can be made by means of distillation.  Boiling points differ more than 20°C for water/xylene and even more for the tertiary azeaotrope as far as I remember - no problem.

ClearLight

Dry ice?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »
Can dry ice be dropped into a solvent to scavenge/freeze out the H2O?

Anansi

drying solvents with dry ice?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 10:32:00 PM »
Just a guess, but I would've thought that the more the dry ice cools the solvent to freeze out any water, the more prone the solvent will be to further moisture condensing into it from the atmosphere due to it being chilled...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but intuitively I'd say this won't work well to try the solvent.

...Anansi

catastrophe

It's a very bad idea
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 10:15:00 AM »
CO2 will cause formation of carbonate from the freebase, which may precipitate depending on its solubility in the hydrocarbon you choose (toluene or xylene). When you gas, you'll neutralize the carbonate and form more water. Just follow the standard procedure.