Author Topic: abnormal nitration of styrene  (Read 1517 times)

xxxxx

abnormal nitration of styrene
« on: June 16, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »
something i have been thinking of is the abnormal nitration of stryrene. the reaction is very exothermic and would require some sort of solvent to prevent the lachramatory nitrostyrene from boiling over and filing the lab with tear gas. would ethanol work? then could the nitronate sodium salt be formed by adding sodium ethoxide and phenylnitropropene be formed by adding a methylating agent? then could the phenylnitropropene be reduced electrolytically?

Rhodium

chemoglossolalia
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 01:53:00 AM »
Please hold your horses for a minute and please tell us what "the abnormal nitration of styrene" constitutes, as well as references either to the literature or some web site.

xxxxx

nitro group goes to beta carbon
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »
1) when styrene is reacted with nitric acid the nitro group goes to the beta carbon forming beta-nitrostyrene. i canĀ“t recall the reference. it should be easy to determine if beta-nitrostyrene is being formed by its cinnamon-like odor. 2) the nitronate sodium salt of the beta-nitrostyrene is formed by adding a base such as sodium ethoxide (my preference) then this is reacted with a methylating agent such as methyl chloride (my preference) to produce 1-phenyl 2-nitro a-propene . 3) the 1-phenyl 2-nitro a-propene is reduced electrolytically to phenylisopropylamine. would this process work and what might be the yields from each step?