Author Topic: Sulfolane  (Read 1915 times)

DaCosmos

Sulfolane
« on: November 16, 1998, 09:22:00 AM »
Is sulfolane(tetramethylenesulfalone) soley a solvent or is is invloved in a reaction. ie 5-MeoT + 2-iodopropane + diisopropylamine in sulfolane-> diisopropyl-5-MeoT?  Can it be replaced with another solvent?

beagle boy

Re: Sulfolane
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 1998, 11:44:00 PM »
I noticed that in TIHKAL too and wondered why sulfolane. Sulfolane is a solvent w/ a high BP and properties sim. to DMSO. It shouldn't be necessary here, although it does facilitate this kind of rxn. Can't remember other solvents that shulgin uses for tryptamine alkylation, but any of these should work.

DaCosmos

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 1998, 11:57:00 PM »
Thanks B:

OK- I can get 5-MeoT from hydrolyzing melatonin with hcl, substitute on OTC solvent for sulfolane. Any OTC idea fro 2-iodopropane or diisoprpylamine? Find them two and someone's hooked. Mix, heat on steam bath,extract, and crystallize. I'm trying to avoid the chem supplier.

beagle boy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 1998, 12:55:00 AM »
This will be a tedious one to pull of w/o chem supply.

Diisopropylethylamine is just an acid scavenger. I'm not sure why this sterically hindered base would be advantageous over say, triethylamine. Anyone? Possibly it could be subs. by e.g. Na2CO3.

Isopropyl iodide can be made by reacting isopropanol w/ HI or Al/I2.

Overall this will be alot of work for a final cpd. of rather questionable entheogenic value.

beagle boy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 1998, 12:58:00 AM »
I just noticed that you were talking about hydrolyzing melatonin w/ HCl. Indoles are often sensitive to acid conditions. You may get better results w/ NaOH hydrolysis.

DaCosmos

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 1998, 08:01:00 PM »
From what I read in TIHKAL, this is a heavy duty comp, comparable with  2-cb. Also, being a dipropyltrytamine analogue(I think)it would be LEGAL. In theory, I wouldn't want to take it to court. I was thinking about just calling a lab to synth it for me for "research purposes only". Any comments..

Peace,
DaCosmos

Semtex Enigma

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 1998, 08:32:00 PM »
A little off topic, but could someone please supply the ISBN for PIHKAL and TIHKAL?  Thank you.

beagle boy

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 1998, 08:44:00 PM »
Let us know details if you get this cpd synthesized (cost, effects, etc). Technically this may fall under CSA act (doesn't everything), but if you are not planning on selling or distributing it, you won't end up as a test case on the constitutionality of this BS law.

Check amazon.com for ISBN #s.

randolph carter

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 1998, 09:04:00 AM »
i have on occasion spoke with bears that have obtained their "modified" honey via the custom commercial synthesis route ....
(in 1980 even aldrich would synthesize mmda for you !!!!)...
it CAN be a viable alternative to "personal dreaming" .....the bears advice is :

1-stay away from "obvious" analogues if possible

2-not only sound and talk professional but BE professional (know your usage for this compound and stick with your story... hell even phenylacetic acid is used for plant tissue culture legitemately ....)

3- have your money READY not maybe i'll have the money later... money talks in this instance most elegantly.....

4-buy as much as you can possibly afford at one time .... less hassle later with reorders....

5-make SURE YOU ACTUALLY WANT THE COMPOUND in question .... nothings worse than spending 5k on a dud pseudo-drug that slams everybody to the ground and makes them howl and writhe for 16hrs......not much market / interest there ......

6-do business with a smallish firm they are hungry for the business....even though fluka in switzerland seems to be willing to synthesize anything "legal"....as long as you are buying "large".....

7-BEE CAREFUL......you are walking a razor fine line between research and criminality .... you CAN obtain non-controlled substances LEGALLY but unless you are a doctor you CANNOT ADMINISTER OR PRESCRIBE these compounds.... sacramental usage is a questionable dodge...plant research is an interesting and growing field of biochemistry i hear.....

just my 69,002 cents worth ........

Zen

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2002, 11:05:00 AM »
Sulfolane from BD + SO2 the hydrogenation product of which is an industrial solvent.

-Zen