Author Topic: Dangerous electrochemistry??  (Read 1819 times)

masterofpuppets

Dangerous electrochemistry??
« on: July 24, 2002, 08:03:00 AM »
If a NaCl is disolved in a solvent (not water) with sodium acetate and a electic current is passed through the solution, is there any chance of Cl2(g) forming??

I faked every orgasm

hCiLdOdUeDn

depends on solvent...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 08:10:00 AM »
It really does depend on the solvent used. If NaCl cant dissolve in the solvent then i would say there is little or no chance of Cl2 gas forming.

hcildoduedn

foxy2

MOP
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 08:12:00 AM »
I have lots of Kolbe information!!

I have to scan it that might take awhile, hang in there.
fxoy

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

masterofpuppets

Well duh!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2002, 06:23:00 AM »
To the first replier: Yeah, well considering MOP said that the "NaCl was disolved in a solvent" I guess that talking about what would happen if it wasn't disolved isn't really that helpful, now is it??

To Foxy: Thank you Foxy - any info that u might have would be greatly appreciated.

I faked every orgasm

moo

Ít depends on the contents of the electrolyte.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 10:44:00 PM »
Ít depends on the contents of the electrolyte. If there are ions or oxidation reactions taking place at a smaller redox potential than the oxidation of Cl- to Cl2, then it won't happen unless you really give your cell some volts ;) . I don't know what it takes to reduce an acetate ion, but I bet it is more than Cl-. This is basic electrochemistry, study it. But yes, you have to consider the gas evolution, it is a part of the necessary precautions.