Author Topic: welcome home the legendary casey willams Hardison  (Read 44232 times)

Offline CHEMICALCOWBOY36

• Subordinate Wasp
welcome home the legendary casey willams Hardison
« on: October 30, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »
http://m.vice.com/read/casey-william-hardison-psychedelic-chemist-254?utm_source=vicefbus
I believe this is the man that help come up with "the new age lsd synthesis" using the peptide coupling
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:54:25 AM by TCdboy28 »
In this, you must never lapse. Even those who would be our allies would not understand. Our domain is the shadow. Stray from it reluctantly, for when you do, you must strike hard ,fast and fade away... Without a trace.

Online Vesp

• Administrator
  • Founding Wasp
    • The Vespiary
Re: welcome home the legendary casey willams
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
Nice! I've heard his name.  So let's have him join the forum? Lol
Vespiary Archive: https://anonfiles.com/LcP9E4Y9u6/backup-2021-12-01_zip

Bitcoin: 1VespJ7dUtwMmvz6oDsMFDzs18kML58UV

Monero: 423c1FAdzQKPQRZEnsK84vSff7M8hCZoR16dvBkzFev3PwEDpLhgneHYyscUgmyVtyXyjMgLjhpGiePKZks16iN95UwXUKk

Offline CHEMICALCOWBOY36

• Subordinate Wasp
Re: welcome home the legendary casey willams
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 12:52:57 AM »
Lol I wish
In this, you must never lapse. Even those who would be our allies would not understand. Our domain is the shadow. Stray from it reluctantly, for when you do, you must strike hard ,fast and fade away... Without a trace.

Offline Baba_McKensey

• Toad Quarantine
  • Founding Wasp
Re: welcome home the legendary casey willams Hardison
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »
Does he have any clothes on in this picture?

I'm not Sam

Offline CHEMICALCOWBOY36

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »
Rofl wtf it doesn't look like it

Offline Moriarty

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »
Naw, dude is naked making drugs in an old hippie bus somewhere on Dead tour in California.  It's like my late 20's all over again ;-)!
"The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began" -Grateful Dead

Offline blowjay

• Larvae
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
I am sure he has shoes on. PPE would be nice, maybe he had a rubber on hahaha.

That is a pretty unsafe way to work though in most every place one could work that does not require one to dance for dollars.

Offline Baba_McKensey

• Toad Quarantine
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 10:11:40 PM »
Maybe he feels chemical scars on his body are a sign of honor.
I'm not Sam

Offline Tsathoggua

• Spaz Tech
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 07:05:05 PM »
Lol Baba.

Well he is more than welcome to Toady's. Would happily trade him those for an 8th of herb and a bag or two of good H :D

Let's see...what have we on offer...?

One hand, palm-side 3/4 to 4/5ths covered in scar tissue, courtesy of an inadvertent (obviously) encounter with conc. perchloric acid, later to get another going over from liquified SO2, and once more from thionyl chloride. A few knuckles of other hand singed a bit and scarred from hell only knows what exactly. A now probably healed over, but at the time, bloody painful freak electrolysis accidentl; Tsathoggua was conducting an electrolysis of molten/fused NaOH using a tank of argon to protect the forming sodium from atmospheric oxidation, when at about the same time both the gas gave out and the pool of liquid Na grew big enough to cause a short between the electrodes in his cell resulting in a crackling series of pops and bangs, and thanks to sheer bad luck a blob of molten sodium, presumably covered in some hydroxide shot through the air at precisely the correct angle and time to end up being propelled right up one of his nostrils; where it did a thorough job of burning and corroding a crater up, and inside his nose. And a one eye with still existant, but minimal sight due to, when much, much much younger and less experienced in both lab techniques and safety, and doing a ring-opening of THAT 4-carbon lactone. This was dissolved in mostly MeOH, and some H2O, whilst heated NaOH solution was added. He didn't know about boiling chips at the time, and it, right at the moment he adjusted his goggles to scratch his nose, the rxn flash-boiled and erupted out of the flask to hit him in the eye and face, not to mention splatter boiling lactone, methanol and caustic all over his kitchen, which needless to mention made mincemeat of quite a few plastic fittings. He instantly went and flushed his eyes out, swearing profusely before then opening the windows, putting the fan on to vent the stench of lactone and going and mopping up in order to A-clean up before his parents woke up and skinned him alive before dumping him in a boiling vat of tabasco sauce and vinegar for melting bits of the kitchen, buggering up some of the paintwork. He did at least manage to recover a mixture of at least a kg of the resulting carboxylic acid sodium salt plus a significant recovery of lactone, mopped up into paper towels and later extracted and the rxn finished properly, this time without a miniature mt.vesuvius.

Ever since though, long-distance sight in the eye that recieved the gout of boiling water/MeOH/lactone/NaOH is very, very, very poor, although he can still read with it just as long as the text isn't more than a couple of feet away, other than that everything is blurry and indistinct.

Also, inhaled a bit too much of various things by accident over the many years of his chemistry/mycology/microbiology/pharmacological experimenting giving his chest a tendency to get somewhat irritable and prone to coughing, mainly when the weather gets cold, and a (completely unrelated) self-iodination, which left him with multiple, but each one quite small, scars and a heavy shirt that has ever since been his lab coat, as its fit for nothing else, since its riddled with holes, and big dark violet-black iodine burns :P
Nomen mihi Legio est, quia multi sumus

I'm hyperbolic, hypergolic, viral, chiral. So motherfucking twisted my laevo is on the right side.

Offline AnyNameWillDo

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »
This story will most definitely pop into my mind the next time I'm feeling too lazy to go hunt down my safety glasses and give me the needed motivation to do go find them. Sheesh, that one had me cringing.

Offline Tsathoggua

• Spaz Tech
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 07:48:59 PM »
What do you mean that story had you cringing?

Was no fun, but at least 1.5kg ish of the lactone/end product of its ring opening.

Think that was bad?

Molten sodium covered in fuzed anhydrous NaOH up Toady's nose wasn't his idea of enjoyable either :P

I'm hyperbolic, hypergolic, viral, chiral. So motherfucking twisted my laevo is on the right side.

Offline fishinabottle

• Chemhack not Chemist
  • Dominant Wasp
  • this is a virtual entity not a real person
    • there me bee dysORG
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:13:32 AM »
Me likes to work naked too, never had an issue. Private parts only suffered once when working dressed and going to the toilet for a pee not realising that there are some spots of KOH on my hands which came from just opening a container with this.
That was considerably unpleasant.

Working naked is somewhast like doing electric installations under energy (only up to 400V) - this is common in many countries, gloves and rubbershoes are mandatory but only an extra, they work without touching blank wires at all.
The rate of injuries is lower then in countries where energy is switched off.

/ORG

It is not black or white only. There is a rainbow in between.

Offline Baba_McKensey

• Toad Quarantine
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
One time I was cleaning up some potassium hydroxide that had absorbed a lot of water from the air, became liquid and spilled on a table because the lid leaked.  In the bathroom, I found some strange black junk and wondered what it was.  Then I felt my forearm stinging, looked at it and discovered that there was a bare spot where there used to be hair.  That's when I found out KOH is a lot more corrosive than NaOH.  I washed it off and it didn't leave any scars.
I'm not Sam

Offline fishinabottle

• Chemhack not Chemist
  • Dominant Wasp
    • there me bee dysORG
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 07:56:29 AM »
One time I was cleaning up some potassium hydroxide that had absorbed a lot of water from the air, became liquid and spilled on a table because the lid leaked.  In the bathroom, I found some strange black junk and wondered what it was.  Then I felt my forearm stinging, looked at it and discovered that there was a bare spot where there used to be hair.  That's when I found out KOH is a lot more corrosive than NaOH.  I washed it off and it didn't leave any scars.
You must be some hairy guy... :o
But it speaks for the protective properties of fur....

/ORG

Offline Tsathoggua

• Spaz Tech
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »
Toady likes to wear a thick fabric long-sleeved shirt while working. It serves as a labcoat, as it can't be worn for day-wear anymore, as its blackish-violet all over the place and covered in chem stains and burns.

Fucker has gotten iodinated to kingdom come over the years, but for lab work, rather than day-wear its just fine. Other than that, goggles, gas mask or O2 supply depending what is being done, with elbow-length heavy rubber gloves, sometimes with a second pair of nitrile gloves over the top or underneath.

Other than that, a leather jacket is favoured lab-wear, as the leather is tougher than fabrics and can bee rapidly wiped off/decontaminated and has some resistance to corrosives of many kinds, gives one time to act before ending up receiving an injury.

Accidents happen, for instance, when barefoot, almost had a major burn from a bottle of 93% H2SO4 after the cap loosened and allowed the bottle to drop to the floor. Toady jumped out of the way JUST in time. Only damage in the end was to the bathroom floor, and bog seat, looks like someone shat on the floor and bog seat with the big brown stains that it left. But if Toady had not got lucky, and moved as fast as he did, that conc. sulfuric WOULD have ended up splashing down his legs and onto his bare feet.

No NEED to be naked in the lab, its just dumb and irresponsible IMO. Injuries recieved that way if a hospital job, just brings a bad reputation and more chemophobia to the mindset of that kind of person, and gets ALL amateur/hobby chemists a bad name.

Offline g1ng3rbr34d_m4n

• Now with REAL meat!
  • Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »
I like you.

Offline fishinabottle

• Chemhack not Chemist
  • Dominant Wasp
    • there me bee dysORG
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 08:01:09 PM »
toady is the new FMan.

respects!

Offline Tsathoggua

• Spaz Tech
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »
Who is FMan? Tsath' recognizes the handle from his days on the hive under another username but cannot bring to mind anything in particular about that bee's nick.

Offline Lipbalm

• Donated!
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 05:13:16 AM »
Hardison didn't come up with it, Professor David Nichols did (I have the paper), Hardison just saw it and applied it commercially (actually experimentally since he got busted before he could sell it from that procedure).
Any book you want for free:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

Any research paper you want for free:
sci-hub.cc

Offline fishinabottle

• Chemhack not Chemist
  • Dominant Wasp
    • there me bee dysORG
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
Hardison didn't come up with it, Professor David Nichols did (I have the paper), Hardison just saw it and applied it commercially (actually experimentally since he got busted before he could sell it from that procedure).
They should have thanked him for the peer review then instead of putting him away for all these years....