Author Topic: MeOH vs. H***  (Read 2439 times)

wyndowlicker

MeOH vs. H***
« on: August 25, 2003, 08:31:00 PM »
Hey now,

Ive been playing around h*** since the beginning,but damnit those bottles just become a pain in the ass.
SOooo I bought a couple gallons of MeOH from a supplier sealed from distrubuter.When used in the al/hg+nitro causes results that are somewhat less desireable than using the old stand-by.Using the same tone,foil,HG everything accept the MeOH source caused a reaction to  reflux very quickly and It speeds up so fast the methylamine gas escapes from the condenser at a rapid pace.This also causes the rxn to become very thick needing additional MeOH to keep Rxn stirring properly.The rxn then procedes to fail refluxing before addition is complete and never refluxes again.H*** contains less than a half percent of rust inhibitors and oils of unknown identity. Possibly these agents affect the reaction in some way, causing it to slow down to an acceptable pace.SOoooo basically what I want to figure out here is what are those agents are or how to mix down the MeOH so that it give desired affects.I hope that was enough info. :P

raffike

add some water...Heet contains some water...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 10:15:00 PM »
add some water...Heet contains some water probably,which your MeOH shouldn't.Water is needed for healthy amalgamation.

wyndowlicker

Hey now,
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 10:18:00 PM »
HEy now,

Does anyone have a proven mix.I would sure hate to waste tone on figuring it out. :P

wyndowlicker

Hey now,
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 01:23:00 AM »
Hey now,

So if this is a lack of H20 does anyone have a mix similar to H***.Ive been getting 90-95% yields and want to
get the same yields.I just find it hard to believe other bees havent had this same issue.Can anyone contribute to this? :P

baalchemist

Contrary to what you believe, Heet is nothing...
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 06:46:00 AM »
Contrary to what you believe, Heet is nothing more than MeOH and a slight bit of H2O. MeOH is the rust inhibitor, it takes up the H2O that aids in the formation of rust on certain metals. Oil serves as a lubricant, it doesnt inhibit rust and it doesnt come mixed in those yellow bottles. Use some simple logic here and add more MeOH in the beginning, and put a damp piece of paper towel in the top of your condenser to help hold the gasses in. That way the refluxing MeOH will re-absorb that shit and take it back down into the reaction where it needs to be...