Author Topic: Making phenyl-2-nitropropene  (Read 2392 times)

malvaxman

Making phenyl-2-nitropropene
« on: December 11, 2001, 07:31:00 PM »
To 55 g (0.5mol) Benzaldehyde in a 500ml Flask were added 40 g (0.5mol) Nitroethane and 10ml Cyclohexylamine. All was refluxed for 6h on a water bath. The result were 2 layers. One orange layer at the bottom with phenyl-2-nitropropene and a clear layer at the top with cyclohexylamine and maybe a little bit (~1ml) of H20. 50ml of H2O were added and then sucked off with a pipette until the phenyl-2-nitro-propene crystallized (it crystallized when it came in touch with air in presence of 15ml H2O). I added 200ml 95% denaturated ethanol to the orange crystals. The color of the now needle-like crystals changed from orange to white-yellow. The crystals were filtered. Yield 65 g, 78% of theory.

---------------------------------------------------------

What is the cyclohyxylamine good for, could one be without it, and is there any OTC source for it?

Thank you for your answer :)

PVnRT_NC8

Re: Making phenyl-2-nitropropene
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2001, 07:53:00 PM »
Oil for french fries looks extreemly interesting as far as a higher boiling solvent goes and of course you could buy the extra hydrogenated variety?  I dont know yet but i would susspect that the information is scewed, the relivant scienticium is um very redundant people discovering simple thigns and making them sound like you got to have a doctorate or something to get involved, you do too comunicate with any suffeciency but of course if you just want to do something yes a long post is in  fact harder to scan....

I was thinking maybe you could do it alot easier and why not?  If you goit speed and only a aspartyl group to disattach I would venture your search would be almost over and of course this would be very very easy

Amethystium

timsong

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2001, 07:59:00 PM »
????????????????????????????

terbium

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2001, 09:31:00 PM »
What is the cyclohyxylamine good for, could one be without it,
It is the, basic, catalyst that makes the condensation happen. Some people use butylamine or other amines.

Post 240019 (missing)

(BieneMaja: "probs w/ crystallisation after BA+Nitroethan cond.", Newbee Forum)

Osmium

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2001, 04:11:00 AM »
Shut up FMAN.