Author Topic: break cleaner: ingredients  (Read 3512 times)

auntyjack

break cleaner: ingredients
« on: November 15, 2003, 09:49:00 AM »
A friend of mine informs me that your can of brake cleaner may contain quite a bit of "methylene chloride"(I think a fair bit is up to 60%)....but that is probably ok because it has a boiling point of 40 c...ha!!...also, if you have a can of electrical solvent there you may have a fair bit of "Dichloromethane"...but guess what!...it boils at 40 c
...double ha!!...anyhow, aparently it is all on google...bye for now

Hang on, I just saw a bunch of stuff about dichloromethane that i don't understand.......this stuff is just going to evaporate out isn't it??.....hmmmm...bye again

doh!! Dichloromethane and methylene chloride are the same thing....that's just fetishism if you ask me..

wareami

What is DCM and how is it used?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 11:04:00 AM »
What is DCM and how is it used?

Dichloromethane (DCM) is a colorless organic liquid with a sweet, chloroform-like odor. The greatest use of DCM is as a paint remover. Other uses include: solvent and cleaning agent in a variety of industries, a fumigant for strawberries and grains; and to extract substances from foodstuffs.

The list of synonyms given below may help you find out whether you are using this chemical at home or work.

Trade Names and Synonyms:
DCM
Methylene chloride

Plus...MSDS says:
General
Synonyms: HCC 30, methane dichloride, methylene chloride, methylene dichloride, aerothene MM, DCM, narkotil, solaesthin, solmethine, NCI-C50102, R 30, methylene bichloride, Freon 30
Molecular formula: CH2Cl2
CAS No: 75-09-2
EC No: 200-838-9
EC Index No: 602-004-00-3

Physical data
Appearance: colourless liquid
Melting point: -97 C
Boiling point: 40 C
Vapour density: 2.9
Vapour pressure: 6.8 psi at 20 C
Specific gravity: 1.32
Flash point: none
Explosion limits: 14 % - 22%
Autoignition temperature: 661 C
Water solubility: slight

Stability
Stable. Incompatible with alkali metals, aluminium, strong oxidising agents, strong caustics, some forms of plastic, titanium.

Flammable types have been seen to contain DCM but the non-flammable goodstuff that bees like contains only tetrachloroetylene and CO2!
Peace of the REaction
Have FUN-Bee SAFE

ahgreich

dry cleaning?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 01:17:00 PM »
not sure, but maybe dry-cleaning supply distributers carry pure tetra? google anyone?

wareami

CAS #'s
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 02:33:00 PM »
ahgreich: The CAS # identifies the chemical ingredient and must be listed on all products.
Proprietary compounds would have patents approved or pending and be listed on the product labels.
At least this should be true in the US!
The reason Ibee lists the CAS #'s in write-ups is to make aquisition easier for bees in other countries that might have different labeling policies!
I would think that the difficult places would include the CAS # for safety reasons if they decide to leave out the chemical name...

Tetra=CAS No: 127-18-4
Carbon Dioxide=CAS No: 124-38-9

On other hand we have....
DCM=CAS No: 75-09-2

Peace of the REaction
Have FUN-Bee SAFE

Rhodium

Is it hard to spell "Brake Cleaner"?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 04:44:00 PM »
Is it incredibly hard to spell "Brake Cleaner"? A "break cleaner" sounds like something used for removing stains during lunch hour...  ::)

wareami

Lunch Break!!!! Braking it down & Summing it UP!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 06:28:00 PM »
Chlorinated Brake Parts Cleaner....aka...Ware(TF)Ami Egull JuiceĀ®
Section 2: Composition/Information on Ingredients
Component           CAS Number    ACGIH TLV OSHA PEL  OTHER %
Tetrachloroethylene 127-18-4      25 ppm    25 ppm    NE   >90
Carbon Dioxide      124-38-9      5000 ppm  10000 ppm NE   <10

Non-Chlorinated Brake Parts Cleaner as used in Ware(TF)Ami Better IDEA E-Licks-HerĀ®
Section 2: Composition/Information on Ingredients

Component           CAS Number    ACGIH TLV OSHA PEL  OTHER %
Toluene             108-88-3       100 ppm    100 ppm  NE 22-32
Methanol             67-56-1       200 ppm    200 ppm  NE 15-25
Acetone              67-64-1       750 ppm    750 ppm  NE 38-48
Carbon Dioxide      124-38-9      5000 ppm  10000 ppm  NE   <10
Peace of the REaction
Have FUN-Bee SAFE