Author Topic: "What is this chemical used for?"  (Read 5389 times)

edg3

Canada
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »
Here in Canada the government doesnt really restrict that much on buying items.  I find that clerks usually ask to just get a feel on if it's the right product that you're looking for.  But as swim said on asking the clerk on what product you should use, thats a great idea.

nitrous351

tolly
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2003, 12:10:00 AM »
my favorite hardware store carries toluene in 5 gallon drums (I live in the US). Since my aunt is an antique refinisher, I can go in there and buy 5 gallons each of tolly, acetone, and xylene. They also happen to carry 37% HCl, NaOH pellets (drain opener) and concentrated Sulfuric (high powered drain cleaner). Ain't life grand?

FloridaAlchemist

Toluene still available
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2003, 05:30:00 AM »
Toluene is still available in these parts but getting harder to obtain becuase of glue sniffers. If you where painters clothes  you will never get questioned. :)

technology

use have it hard in the US of A
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2003, 11:12:00 AM »
here in australia you can get toluene by the bucket load although the nosy fucks still when you phone to place an order they all ways ask where are you from, damn society and its nosy nosyness. i gathered that in the USA you could get anythink u want 8)  being the big land that it isss. ;D

unionpacific

Where I live there is a big meth problem I...
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2003, 11:25:00 PM »
Where I live there is a big meth problem
I have no problem buying solvents by the gallon at the store
I buy them one at a time going to different stores (sometimes different days)

Don't wear nice clothes, gold watches and 150.00$ shoes when buying solvents,
wear a tshirt and jeans. (helps if they are not in good condition)

if your not suppose to have it they wouldn't sell it

I don't get ephedrine from the store anymore so i dont have to worry about that.

IceHomer

Excuses
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2003, 03:37:00 PM »
I've only ever been questioned as to why I need a certain chemical twice. Once for GAA, the other for toluene.

My reason is usually the same: "I'm picking this up for my [insert relative here]. He/she is a photog/painter/etc."

Of course, this probably works best for OTC. But regardless, always have a simple backup story for everything, and stick to it. Just don't make it so unique that it stands out. You want the clerks to think of you as merely a boring nerdy tradesman or something.

pHarmacist

...or are the people here just unsure of ...
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2003, 03:41:00 PM »
...or are the people here just unsure of themselves, so that they feel the need of having an excuse to be confident enough to go down to the store and ask?

Those damn tweakers are just beeing paranoid as usual. he-he-he

hypo

not once...
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2003, 12:23:00 PM »
...have i been asked why. and i've bought some far out shit.
must be this american friendliness crap. i hate it when some
pushy employee wants to help you bring your stuff to the car
and talk and shit. leave me alone, i'm here to shop, not to
get new friends! (sometimes it's great to live in unfriendly
parts of the world  :) )