Author Topic: More on toluene to PAA  (Read 2623 times)

PolytheneSam

More on toluene to PAA
« on: May 26, 2002, 05:24:00 PM »

Patent US4350825

gives a method of making PAA from toluene which is then used to make styrene.

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html
The hardest thing to explain is the obvious

Elementary

First prize goes to...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 06:04:00 PM »
Wow, that's a brilliant find  :)

Shame about the high pressure needed though.

EXAMPLE 5

This example is designed to demonstrate that benzyl alcohol can be carbonylated by employing a synthesis gas to produce a high yield, e.g., about 90% based on benzyl alcohol charged, of phenylacetic acid; and that dibenzyl ether and benzylphenyl acetate may be formed as precursors to phenylacetic acid.

To the same autoclave employed in Example 4 were introduced 30 grams of benzyl alcohol, 0.1 gram of rhodium oxide and 0.3 gram of iodine. The autoclave was then pressurized with a synthesis gas mixture containing about 60 vol. % hydrogen and about 40 vol. % CO to about 1,000 psig. at about 125.degree. C. for one hour. G.C. analysis of the reaction sample at the moment indicated that about 87.6 mol % of benzyl alcohol introduced was converted to: 11.1 mol % of phenylacetic acid, 26.5 mol % of dibenzyl ether, 58.1 mol % benzylphenyl acetate and 2.3 mol % of toluene. The carbonylation, under the same synthesis gas pressure and the temperature, i.e., 1,000 psig. and 125.degree. C., was then continued for two additional hours. G.C. analysis of the three-hour reaction product showed that essentially all of the benzyl alcohol, dibenzyl ether and about 90% of the benzylphenyl acetate which had been detected in the one-hour reaction product were converted to phenylacetic acid, producing phenylacetic acid in a yield higher than 90% based on benzyl alcohol charged.

Don't cry for me I'm the cleaner

PolytheneSam

R-Y --> R-COOH
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 06:14:00 PM »
They have tables with PAA and indolylacetic acid (IAA?) in them in columns 7 and 8 in

Patent US4824532

R-Y --> R-COOH, more strange stuff in class 205 (electrosynthesis, etc.)

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html
The hardest thing to explain is the obvious