Author Topic: military gasmask  (Read 1880 times)

jtryptamine

military gasmask
« on: August 17, 2003, 04:37:00 PM »
Does anybee know a thing or two about military gasmasks? SWIJ recently got one thats in great condition and was wondering what level of protection they give concerining HCN and H2S indoors. Yes I know it's not a good idea if precautions are not taken, but keep in mind SWIJ would be the only person in the house that day, windows would be open (with the blinds closed though) fans here and there and gas scrubbers when possible. The mask is for biological warfare so I think it would do, but I was informed some gases (i.e. nausea gas) pass right through any gas mask. Do the above aforementioned gasses have these properties also? Or would the mask serve me well?

methyl_ethyl

Be Careful
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 07:32:00 PM »
I don't like the gas mask idea..

Be very careful, depending on how old your gas mask is you may actually be poisining yourself.  And even if it looks brand new it may not be protecting you from shit.

Check out the provided link, if your mask resembles any ot the ones on the page, it can be considered useless.  This is by no means a complete list, I think you would be safer applying yourself to other means of protection.  I would hate to hear that you are suffering from chromium toxicity, just because you were trying to protect yourself by wearing a gas mask... 

http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/defective-masks.htm

Ventilate, Ventilate, Ventilate.....

jtryptamine

The mask is about 1-yr old.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »
The mask is about 1-yr old. It's one that the U.S. military use now. Not available to civilians but SWIJ's friend who is in the army made one disappear. The front is very thick and it goes on your face like a suction cup. It has ties everywhere to make sure it's tight, and it got a olive drab hood that covers the back of your neck and even arm holes so it also protects your shoulders. There was nothing similar on the link you gave, other useful info. though!

terbium

What canisters are attached.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 09:09:00 PM »
What substances a gas mask will protect against will depend on the attached canisters that scrub the air. A gas mask with canisters for protection against biological agents will likely give no protection against H2S or HCN.

unionpacific

what Hammer said And I wouldn't be performing...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 10:21:00 PM »
what Hammer said

And I wouldn't be performing anything with h2s involved inside a place where I live (or indoors for that matter) 

If you don't take the maximum proper safety percautions when dealing with this gas you can very easily end up dead.

methyl_ethyl

Agreed
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 10:32:00 PM »
Good point, if you insist on wearing a gas mask in your lab, it would be in your best interest, to get a brand new cartridge that is designed specifically to protect you from substances in question.  The problem might be finding a commercial cartridge, cannister, what have you, that will fit your military issue mask.  I am not sure how universal these cartridges are.  I would guess the military had these specially designed for themselves, and there is probably no way in hell you will be able to find a cartridge to fit what you have.  I could be wrong, but If you really want to wear a gas mask you should buy a commercial one that you know will accept the cartridges that you need.  Some info below about NIOSH requirements.

Concentration of H2S
   Minimum Respirator Required

Up to 100 ppm
   Half-mask respirator with approved cartridges. Willson® 1200 series or 5000 series ValuAir® with R25, R26, or R35 cartridges. Willson ValuAir Plus, Premier and Premier Plus with T05, T06, T08, T05P100, T06P100 or T08P100 cartridges. Willson Freedom® 2000 series models 2X05, 2X06, 2X08, 2X18P100. Willson MX/PFÔ with C30A or C30P100 cartridges.

Up to 300 ppm
   Full-facepiece respirator with approved cartridges. Willson model 1600/1700 with R25, R26 or R35 cartridges. Willson 6400/6500 series with T05, T06, T08, T05P100, T06P100 or T08P100 cartridges. Willson F710 with C30A or C30P100 cartridges.

Above 300 ppm or unknown
   Gas mask with approved canister. Willson model 6600/6700 series with 65 canister. (Acid gas approval on the 65 canister covers hydrogen sulfide. Canisters do not require specific approvals as cartridges do.)

I think you can get these masks with tinted face shields also, which will hide your identity when someone breaks down your door to see what you are doing in an apartment wearing a gas mask.  Sorry I can't get this image out of my head. LOL..

jtryptamine

The mask dosn't have a cartridge thats ...
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 10:51:00 PM »
The mask dosn't have a cartridge thats chanagable that I know of. I think I'll take hammers advice about the welding shop. I rather spend a little extra $ than be dead.

unionpacific

Making an airtight fumehood or a setup like on
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 11:58:00 PM »
Making an airtight fumehood or a setup like on Wiz x's page wouldn't be a bad idea

Blind_Angel

If it's said Formaldehyde and other organic...
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 09:08:00 PM »
If it's said Formaldehyde and other organic fume on the filter it would be good for what exactly? (excepted the two one already mentioned)