Author Topic: Need Help w/Nitro Al/Hg amalgam  (Read 2194 times)

AngelX

Need Help w/Nitro Al/Hg amalgam
« on: August 23, 2003, 12:15:00 PM »
Ok. I had a wonderful dream of running through the al-hg amalgam, and extracted with toluene. I washed the toluene with saturated sod. bicarb, and the washes were very clean. I then went to wash with saturated NaCl, but something happened to me that never has. The NaCl layer seperated out to the top but was VERY thick white, and didn't look like it was very happy. I then decided to do an acid base extraction due to possible errors i didn't want to make, but as soon as i mixed 200ml 10%hcl with the toluene, vigorous bubbling began, and the toluene for some reason is miscible with the 10%hcl in h2o? There is no seperation at all...How is this possible, and is there any way for me to save my 20 gram dream?  Also there is fine cloudy whiteness at the bottom of the flask not unsimilar to the look when toluene is gassed, is this my good tasting hcl salt or some nasty bi-product?? Please help asap.

acid_egg

Your goodies are in the top layer.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »
The NaCl layer seperated out to the top but was VERY thick white

The top layer is the TOLUENE layer not the aqueous layer! It's no wonder the dil. HCl will mix with the bottom layer with no seperation (You are mixing brine and dil. HCl).

Btw what layer did you take as the toluene layer after the bicarb washes?

OcoteaCymbarum

What is the purpose of saturated NaCL
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »
I've always wondered why wash with saturated NaCl.
To me, a saturated NaCl solution is to dry your non-polar as much as possible by pulling any water left into the saturated NaCl. Then dry with epsom salts.

Then what is the purpose of this wash? What does it do more or better then say saturated bicarb? What about 5% NaOH?
Can anyone share with me the goods about washing with Saturated NaCl?

technology

NaCL
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »
Isnt it to remove the HgCL12 traces still found in the rxn contents, thus purifying the rxn contents. because who wants that shit in the goodies.

correct me if i am wrong, this was of the top of my head.

slick14

Swim has found that if you have a bicarb soln.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 10:33:00 AM »
Swim has found that if you have a bicarb soln. that when HCl is added you will get vigerous bubbles and a really high vapor pressure.  had the top of a sep funnel shot across the room dont let that happen it aint fun

bio

What is the purpose of saturated NaCL
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 08:35:00 PM »
The NaCl will remove most residual water. This can easily be seen to remove the traces of water on the glass also above the solvent layer. Do not wash with water last or you defeat the purpose. The sat salt solution also helps break any emulsions or cloudiness.

Rhodium

Reason for the brine washes
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 06:27:00 PM »

Post 394075 (missing)

(pHarmacist: "Washing with brine", Newbee Forum)