Author Topic: heap of broad  (Read 3581 times)

kokopelli

heap of broad
« on: June 09, 2000, 01:35:00 PM »
well here we go again , just been reading back the old board and there was this argument between the rev and the lili .

it concerned the N,N-alkylations of tryptamines
(the breath of hope one)
, with the backwards sidedropped sn-2 reaction....
so it seems not to work for the methyl groups (according to grandmaster lili) but drone-san is convinced it works..

but i see no reason in it not working for  the N,N-propylgroups , the N,N-ethylgroups , the N,N-isopropylgroups...
or am i wrong

hoping to start another bitch of a thread...

kokopelli

Lilienthal

Re: heap of broad
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2000, 03:35:00 PM »
I simply don't know. Try it. Since ethylation of tryptamines gives about 30% (I forgot the exact yield) diethylated products in non PTC-reactions it should work. The ispropyl group is stericall hindered, maybe you will get only monoalkylation. I would use a polar aprotic solvent (e.g. DMF), a HBr neutralization base (e.g. K2CO3) and heat (n-propylbromide bp 70-71°C). Post your results.

foxy2

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2000, 07:19:00 PM »
Yea, lets hear the results of your work. 
Im searching for a way to make a PTC, but if you can get away without that would be great. 
i just refuse to buy anything.  So im hoping the fairy godmother will bring me some.

"Sometimes i say things i wouldn't do, thats the beauty of Amerika"

phaidon

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2000, 11:24:00 PM »
Thanks Lili! I'll keep you and the other bees informed, should I be able to verify
this summer.

Ah yes, one more thing. AFAIR EtBr is an explosive when mixed with air at RT. Bee careful.

Laters,

-- phaidon, son of apollon

I scorched the Earth, now what do I do tomorrow?