Author Topic: what unit of measure are you using  (Read 1934 times)

white_rabbit

what unit of measure are you using
« on: June 28, 2003, 11:06:00 AM »
I read many recipies where ingrediant ratios are used and some use grams with molar equivelents and no ratio and some with just grams... so if its a just a ratio is it a molar ratio or a weight ratio ... I hate to a recipie that turns out badly.. Its like I wasted my time in the kitchen and a trip to the grocery store for a meal that should smell like fish but winds up smeling like an open sewer and is inedable ... SOME ONE PLEASE EXPLAIN

thanks

yinga

Read a basic chemistry book.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 05:57:00 PM »
Read a basic chemistry book.  All chemical reactions essentially operate on a molar basis.  These moles are then converted into mass, grams, so that a chemist can weigh out how much of a reagent to use.  The mass ratio will be different than the molar ratio because of different molecular weights of the compounds.  Read a basic chemistry book.

white_rabbit

I understand that
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 10:26:00 PM »
the problem is some use ratios and give weight in grams that match the ratios in grams.... but when SWIM does the atomic weight (u ) or formula mass (FM) conversions the weights are all wrong ie: see acidmelts slacker synth... I dont havr the numbers in front of me now but will post the ratios and weights later

Rhodium

ratios
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 01:35:00 AM »
Therefore you should always trust well-written synthetic procedures which preferably gives the amounts in both grams and moles a lot more than something called "acidmelts slacker synth"...

Usually, most everyone here at the Hive use molar equivalents (at least 90% of the posts with an "excellent" rating does), but in the Stimulants forum there is some kind of twilight zone where most people are using weight ratios, as the majority hasn't yet learned what a mole is, and much less can calculate molar ratios. I have addressed that problem in

Post 395262

(Rhodium: "Have you invented yet another non-metric unit?", Stimulants)