Author Topic: DCM reuse ?  (Read 1910 times)

methlab

DCM reuse ?
« on: January 11, 2004, 11:03:00 PM »
May i reuse the DCM which i got back when distilling wacker content?

sYnThOmAtIc

No
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 01:10:00 AM »
No you can't use it. It is no longer DCM. It is now MDC. ahhHhaah. Get it? Your methylene dichloride turned into dichloromethane...hahahaha

Of course it can be reused!! Come on man!! Get it together! UTFSE. You can alomost always reuse solvents and should. It saves time and money. Sometimes like HCL gassed solvents you may need to remove any dissolved acid and distill before reusing.

EDIT: Oh yea, I almost forgot the most important reason not to fluch your solvents. It's bad for the enviroment. And the DEA loves to tout about enviromental hazards from drug labs. So prove em wrong, dispose of everything by properly neutralized or diluting, etc!!

sYnThOmAtIc

Yes,
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 07:08:00 AM »
In those cases you want to be sure that you label the solvent and only reuse it in the exact same place again. I believe that was mentioned in brightstars writeup?? I'm not sure where I remember erading that, but if you do decide to reuse solvents in those situations it's a good idea to only use it in the exact same place and not for a recrystalization for instance.

Lets just let him do some of his own homework now eh?