Author Topic: Lab Case  (Read 2812 times)

ADDkid

Lab Case
« on: January 31, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »
I was just wondering what you guys use to carry your glassware in, Swig is becoming a proud owner of many pieces of glass, and just can't find something that fits him, either the case is too small, or too much room for knocking. ADDkid  Oh, by the way I saw a really nice thermometer adapter in one of the pics at Rhodium, and I never can find something that nice anywhere not even at schools, I know that we can't mention sources, but it's just glass, and I would like something that nice.

stratosphere

i wonder if you could use that "foam in a
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 09:38:00 PM »
i wonder if you could use that "foam in a can" (used for instance as house insulation and in taxidermy) and create protective molds for your glass ware to sit in?

foxy2

Get thick soft foam and pack the glass with...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 05:23:00 AM »
Get thick soft foam and pack the glass with that in hard rubbermaid storage containers.  You should bee able to find the foam at hardware or craft stores sold in sheets of different thickness.  You could then cut out spaces for each piece and bee all fancy, just like the lab kits they sell.

Osmium

I store all that shit in big cardboard boxes.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 09:32:00 AM »
I store all that shit in big cardboard boxes.

sYnThOmAtIc

Depends on the glass!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 07:28:00 PM »
If you would have bought 19/22 or 14/20 glassware you could fit enough glass to setup about eight different organic reaction setups separate of each other along with, rotovap, hotplate, peltier water chiller, jack, stand bases/rods, ph meter, grease, adaptors, ETC. All in one extralarge briefcase. If you only want to case glass you could fit every single piece of glass you could find a use for into a shoe box!

You can get solid hard walled carry cases just about anywhere. The, get this, "photo supply shop" sells customizable heavy duty carry cases for cameras. I prefer to keep everythign boxed inside the case for prying eye reasons. The easiest way to pack the glass loose is to get somesolid aluminum covered foam at the orange place and cut out scetions for your glass. Then once you have everything packed in its place slap a big tempurpedic faom slab over the top bare surface of glass and shut the cover. Obviously, it's best to get a piece of it sized to over fit. You want to have to depress the foam to get the lid closed. Tha way it will expand over the next couple seconds to hold everything snugly. The easiest way to make custom fit foam for glass pieces os to get some double or triple expanding foam, spray it on to the bottom of the case, and lay a piece of real thin plastic over it. Then quickly arrange your pieces on top and depress them in slowly to fit, smooting out the high places as you go. That is if you don't like the idea of sitting down and tracing all your glas onto foam and cutting out pieces slowly with a loose hacksaw blade.

Depending on what all you want to carry to and fro, you can usually get a whole lab into a case or two. You can usually carry all glass nessecary and a vacuum pump and hotplate and stuff in a case. Making a portable lab. I jus tlike it for storage. It makes it easy to grab all your investment incase of a fire or such.