Author Topic: Nitroethane from Nitromethane?  (Read 3563 times)

Drug_Phreak

Nitroethane from Nitromethane?
« on: September 17, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »
I used TFSE and I found some Bee who brought up this possibility about four years ago, but they didn't receive any replies. I have been wondering about this for some time and vaguely remember reading something about this in one of Fester's books... it might have been Nitromethane to Methylamine though. Anyway, is this possible? If so, would it be worth trying?

Rhodium

No, you cannot do that.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 02:07:00 PM »
No, you cannot do that.

Drug_Phreak

OK... thanks for the heads up Rhodium.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
OK... thanks for the heads up Rhodium. I was about ready to go the local racing shop. Well, it does have other uses so maybe I'll still get a few gallons of it before some politician tries to save the day and they start requiring ID for it too or what have you.

starlight

musings
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 06:19:00 AM »
It was once postulated by a bee here that it may be possible to condense nitromethane with formaldehyde (henry condensation) and follow this by dehydration to the alkene and reduction of the double bond with NaBH4. The dehydration is likely to be difficult. Rhodium suggested the possible use of Phthalic anhydride as a dehydrating agent. No-one has tried it to the best of my knowledge.

Drug_Phreak

Wow... that's a lot of work.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 12:41:00 PM »
Wow... that's a lot of work. I think I'll use one of these routes (

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/nitroethane.html

) as I can obtain most of these chemicals with no problems.