Author Topic: Baals favorite Methylamine synth...  (Read 8532 times)

baalchemist

Baals favorite Methylamine synth...
« on: September 25, 2001, 01:17:00 PM »
Since Baal has had so many recent inquiries lately on this subject, he would like to share a personal favorite. Back a few years ago when Baal & Sumerian were still hangin, we made our MeAm as follows;
70g-Hexamine(fuel tablets) was added to 240ml-28%Hcl with magnetic stirring in a Vac-Reflux setup. Approx. 20"-22"Hg of Vac was applied and temp was raised to start it refluxing slowly. This was allowed to reflux for ~3hrs, & then was rigged for vac distillation and the volume was reduced slowly over a few hours time. Continue til there is
a crystalline "mush" in the flask. This is your crude MeAm w/some impurities. 4-110ml>99%IPA boiling hot, portions were added to the mush, these were quickly swirled and decanted. The pooled extracts were then reduced in volume by vac. distillation til the flask contained a yellowish crystalline mush. The mush was then extracted with 6>50ml-99%IPA boiling hot portions, all were pooled together. As
alcohol extracts began to cool, large 5 sided crystals began to precipitate. This was then covered and placed in the freezer for 1 hour to finish crystallizing. Crystals were vac filtered,& yield is typically 80-95% when done right. Extracting with hot IPA takes the place of washing with multiple solvents to purify the MeAm. This version keeps the obnoxious smells to a minimum, and the B.P.(refluxtemp) will easily stay below the 104c mark, thus reducing chances of add'l side reactions.

GODISNOWHERE

baalchemist

Re: Baals favorite Methylamine synth...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2001, 06:37:00 AM »
The notes I transcribed that reaction from are from 4 years ago, and I didnt write down the actual gram count. If my memory serves me right, that creates 1M of MeAm. So it would be 80-95% of that amount. Most of the runs were
90%-95% in yields. I'm still hunting for some add'l notes that have some large scale details of the same reaction. Will be sure to post ASAP for those interested.

GODISNOWHERE

sunlight

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
Did you check the melting point, baal ?
I beleive to remeber that I asked it to you and your answer was afirmative and correct, but I'm not sure now.

baalchemist

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2001, 10:29:00 PM »
You are correct Sunlight, I had a Chemist friend back then
analyze said product and M.P. was right on the money. 

GODISNOWHERE

cilliersb

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2001, 04:24:00 PM »
Baal

I also use the NH4OH + Formaldehyde -> Hexamine
then Hexamine + HCl -> MeAM.HCL

Works very well for me, but I'm considering buying my Hexamine pure. Just stir at RT for like 16 hours after mixing Hexamine into HCl (muriatic) and then evap water. This works fine for me every time!! recryst from IPA may be an option, but acetone washes work fine too.

ps: surprize surprize baal, I may be an evil chemist, but at least I've figured out that GodIsEverywhere!! 8)

sunlight

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2001, 05:20:00 PM »
Cilliersb, that procedure was first published by Eleusis-Zwiterion (my best wishes for him), but I'm not sure it works so easy. Have checked mp or wathever to see if you have the good stuff and not a mixture of ammonium, methylamine and dimethylamine chloride ?

sparks

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
If my memory serves me right extraction and recrystalising from methanol worked just fine for me.

zooligan

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
MeOH works but IpOH works mucha betta.  Nearly makes it a pleasure.  Very little AmCl carries over with the IpOH, and the crystals that drop from the IpOH are *distinctly* different than the left-behind AmCl (in all the right ways).  I understand that larger alcohols perform even better...

Now, about that left-behind AmCl that's produced when using purchased hex... could you add some (para)formaldehyde to the pot of stirring hex/HCl and force the rxn towards more MeAm (by concurrent AmCl+formaldehyde rxn)???

z

"And if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, then we'll just be bogus too!"

Rhodium

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2001, 06:42:00 PM »
zoo: Yes, that should work, but I believe it would be better if you collected the ammonium chloride from after the reaction, and saved that for another run with paraformaldehyde separately, rather than trying to do it all in one pot.

HoneySuckle

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2001, 11:45:00 PM »
Seems to me the smelliest parts would be the initial vac-reflux and vac-distillations.  Did you (hypothetically ;) ) run a tube from the end of the asperator all the way down the drain? (in hopes the smell goes with the water) If not, would this help to minimize those toxic aromas?

When you say "crude MeAm with some impurities" are those impurities NH2Cl and tablet binder mostly? Also, is it neccessary to crush up the tablets before refluxing? I imagine they'd disolve fine if you just threw in the individual chunks of tablets.

Sorry for all the elementary questions... it does say "newbee" by my name. thanks

-HoneySuckle

Chromic

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2001, 03:03:00 AM »
IPA recrystallisations will remove the excess AmCl, DCM washes with remove the excess dimethylamine hydrochloride. A little AmCl in your Al/Hg isn't going to hurt anything, but excess dimethylamine hydrochloride will form inactive N,N-dimethyl-3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine when you go to reduce.

Jasium

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2001, 05:16:00 AM »
haven't done it exactly that way, but,using 800g of hex and throw another 100g of formaldehyde in the mix with h20 and hcl, do reg reflux a 104c, and cool and filter, then do vaccum reflux the rest of the way. yields were 1kg of meamhcl after alcohol (ipa) rextalization. bee sure to keep the reflux temp at 104c to insure no di or tri meam hcl
hope this helps
j

"fuck the media"

baalchemist

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2001, 06:57:00 AM »
The "impurities" Baal mentioned would be AmmChloride specifically,no binders.  Baal ran the vac tubing thru a couple bubblers first and exhaust tubing was ran outside.

800g's of Hexamine could make alot more than 1kg if done under reduced pressure.

"GodisEverywhere">Hahahahahahahahaha, yeah right,I bet Jesus is right next to him, w/the tooth fairy & Santa leading the way.

GODISNOWHERE

Jasium

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2001, 09:03:00 AM »
no crap?
swinj tried it with 300g of hex 1nce and only got 200g at reduced pressure at 65c maybe he fucked up, and diden't reduce the pressure enough(20hg here) or should let it reflux longer (8 hours instead of 6) and a lower stable temp of 55-60c would help. he used an aspirator here to get rid of fumes because his big boy vac diden't have an inline valve at the time. best he's seen with 800g hex was 1.1kgs. oh well back to the drawing board, to try her again!thanx
j

"fuck the media"

Jasium

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
oh by the way when you vaccum distilled the distillate came over at around 70-75c right. did you ever notice any higher yields by adding a little more formalin? swinj will try it your way next time and vac reflux for 3 hours before distillation. sumerian did know his meam! guess you do too.
wanting those quantitive yields!
j

"fuck the media"

brownhornet

need help w/vac reflux Meam
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2002, 07:09:00 AM »
baal tried your reflux method but failed?
vac refluxed 1kg hexamine (white and dry.made via 29% nh3oh and formaldehyde)  with 3300ml 31.45% muratic for 4 hrs and @ 20 mmhg, vac distilled to get a mush that turned out to be mostly ammonium chloride and a little methylamine.
dont like an extra step of ammonium chloride and formaldehyde to get the rest of methylamine.
how can i get close quantity yeilds like you in one step.
running same tonite but reflux longer from 4 to 8hrs at 20 mmhg.
will let you know but help me on this one bro
thnx bh

terbium

Vogel
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2002, 07:14:00 AM »
I favour the classic procedure where no vacuum is used and the temparatue in the pot is held at 104°C for 4-5 hr.

Post 209576 (missing)

(terbium: "Re: Methylamine; So many problems? Is it the Altitude", Newbee Forum)

Argox

terbium right as usual
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2002, 02:58:00 PM »
What terbium said.

Hex plus HCl

works like a charm. 
best method.
Guaranteed.

Argox.

In the port of Amsterdam, there's a sailor who sings
Of the dreams that he brings...

RoundBottom

outting chromic's method
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2002, 04:06:00 AM »
ok, so i decided to post after all, chromic, if only to give you some incentive  ;)

chromic has a method that is simple, fairly high yielding, and uses a simple set of reagents.  it is basically a different and much simpler workup to the standard HCl and Hexamine method.

SWIM has done it, but not used the results, and it's long, but easy.

c'mon chromic, you can do it.

i learned a thing or two from charlie dontcha know.

Chromic

laziness
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2002, 07:20:00 AM »
I really should run the MeAm synth again to get a better idea of the procedure, and take some pics before publishing it... RB, I blame it all on my laziness...