Author Topic: Xylene = Ethylbenzen  (Read 1565 times)

place

Xylene = Ethylbenzen
« on: May 26, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »
SWIM bougth a bottle of Xylene. On the bottle was two name printed, Xylene and ethylbenzen, is that the same? The guy in the shop did't have a glue about it.

SWIM shall use it to meth extraction.

eXcidium

No
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »
Xilene (o,p,m)dimethyl benzene
Ethylbenzene = ethylbenzene

It's probabbly a mixture of both, so mostly you can't use it

Kinetic

Use it
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
If using the mixture simply as an extraction solvent, you should notice no difference between xylene and ethylbenzene. As meth freebase is miscible with methylbenzene* (better known as toluene) then it's likely miscible with both ethylbenzene and xylene, as well as any mixture of the two.

If your mixture isn't clear and colourless you should distill it. Otherwise it should be fine.

* Ref:

Post 503524

(Osmium: "To answer the question, toluene and meth ...", Stimulants)

ning

I wonder what percentage of ethylbenzene is in
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:55:00 AM »
I wonder what percentage of ethylbenzene is in commercial xylenes?

ethylbenzene can be used to produce 2c-E precursors, or oxidized with KMnO4 to give acetophenone, also handy to have around.

--Oops, found my answer. 6-20%. Wow, that's more than I thought.

place

E?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 10:11:00 PM »
If using the mixture simply as an extraction solvent, you should notice no difference between xylene and ethylbenzene. As meth freebase is miscible with methylbenzene* (better known as toluene) then it's likely miscible with both ethylbenzene and xylene, as well as any mixture of the two.

If your mixture isn't clear and colourless you should distill it. Otherwise it should be fine.

I have tried to find info about ethylbenzene, but I can't find much? Will the mix of ethylbenzene and xylene also work to extractions of ephedrine?