The Hive > Newbee Forum

Oxone or Performic/Peracetic

(1/8) > >>

aznxprophetxtasy:
Hello,

Since I am a New"bee" and this is the Newbee forum i am going to ask a newbee question.

In terms of yield which is better Oxone or Performic/Peracetic. In terms of easiness which is better??

greeter:
UTFSE.  The performic yields ~85%, the peracetic according to Chromic can yield ~70%, the oxone route maybe 50%?  Seems to me most people have been having problems with the oxone route.
A watched pot will indeed boil.

Chromic:
The buffered performic yields 65-75% of theory.
The buffered peracetic yields >60% of theory (likely 65-70%).
The oxone method yields 50-65% of theory (perhaps higher).

The main yield limiting step is the sulfuric acid hydrolysis, tosic acid may give higher yields. As of yet, no one has posted any information on the topic.

aznxprophetxtasy:
So im guessing here since Oxone uses loads of H2O that performic is the best option. Also i looked under the search engine and found the yields to vary. i just wanted some other bees opinions. Thankx!!

greeter:
Swim's last three performics ran with 82%, 87% and 87% yield respectively (w ketone / w isosafrole).  Swim was *very* careful with everying including a fractional distillation at the end, making sure to get out all water, dcm, etc., and toss the forerun which came over right under the ketone (which was about 30 drops of something very ultra-neon-green, coulda been ketone but...).  The rest was bright yellow.  85% avg.

A watched pot will indeed boil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version