The Hive > Newbee Forum

Oxone or Performic/Peracetic

<< < (8/8)

hCiLdOdUeDn:
Yep! It works perfectly. First the solution with the alcohol/aluminum/tincture mixture is red then after 15minutes faint bubbling will be noticeable. This is when the color goes clear and then after 45min the aluminium is eaten up and it turns to a grey sludge and bubbling is pretty fast.
Sink or SWIM

El_Zorro:
Have you tried it with a larger quantity of Al than 25g?
Who is that masked man?

PoohBearium:
This is where it all started (sort of):

All aminations were of the al/hg variety, using methanol as a solvent (isopropanol was never used successfully), with ~.5 gram blobs of hg dropped into I2 tincture, allowed to react for a few days, and then used to amalgamate.

~unnilhexium
--- End quote ---

Post 248601 (unnilhexium: "Re: When substituting GAA for Formic acid...", Chemistry Discourse)

"All aminations were of the al/hg variety, using methanol as a solvent (isopropanol was never used successfully), with ~.5 gram blobs of hg dropped into I2 tincture, allowed to react for a few days, and then used to amalgamate.

Swim recorded an actual amalgamtion time, it took 17 minutes(.5g mercury blob, 30g Al). The basic procedure is to put a plastic dish on the old balance, zero it, and poke at a mercury blob until about .3-.5 grams is weighed out, then dump it into some 2% I2 tincture, the kind you buy at walmart.  I can't verify that HgI2 is formed, but I have successfully amalgamated using this procedure."

~unnilhexium
--- End quote ---

Post 266225 (PoohBear4Ever: "Re: MM Nitro/Al-Hg variation:  No HgCl2", Methods Discourse)

...ISO-SWIM decided that instead of using HgCl2, he would try Hg(2?)I2 instead(mercury blobs dropped into I2 tincture, ala unnilhexium).  The batch was done at a half scale, 12.5g ketone, 10ml MeNO2 and 13.7g aluminum foil.  The tincture, .24g Hg from a thermometer dropped in a 30ml 3% I2 tincture 1 week earlier, was dissolved in 400ml MeOH, and dumped into a 2L RB flask, to which the aluminum and a 2.5 inch stirbar had already been added.  Amalgamation took approximately 35-40 minutes, and once complete, the ketone/nitro was dripped in.... 

~unnilhexium
--- End quote ---

Post 263260 (isohuman: "MM Nitro/Al-Hg variation:  No HgCl2", Methods Discourse)

That should answer all you question on HgI2...

PB
WARNING:The punishment for self-rating your posts is a slow and agonizing death!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version